Adjustable Foundations for Garden Room - crazy idea?

iSelfBuild

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cI'm building a 4.5m x 4.5m corner garden office soon and inspired by a Youtube channel  - I fancy using a variation of their DIY foundation pile system.

Instead of using 24mm bar, setting level in concrete, chopping down, making brackets, lots of cutting etc I have chosen some precast concrete anchors (used to supply these in my old job)

They are very good value anchors, The plan is to dig 23  number - 500mm deep by 200mm wide holes with a post hole digger and set them in concrete - rebar anchor flush with the top then the thread between and flat plate giving 100mm above ground to the timber.

The crimped rebar anchor and flat socket is rated at 7500kg destructive load. Both have 24mm female thread. I plan to put 150mm of 24mm thread between the two. I've worked out each 180* turn gives me 1mm of adjustment so the advantage of my system is that they are permanently adjustable forever.

I will dig the holes - then fix the assembled anchors to the timber - I'm thinking two 6mm coach screws in each support - just concerned these could shear with wind loads? Base frame will be 4 x 3" timber. Plan is to fill all the holes up with concrete, wiggle all the anchors in one go fixed to the timber and set them all level using breezeblocks/packers. Let it set then fine tune the anchors by winding up or down.

Crazy or good idea?

20210219_123755.jpg

floor frame.png

Edited by iSelfBuild

To me that looks like total overkill for a garden office foundations. A lot of unecessary work and materials. If you were building a house, I'd understand.

Here is a video of a much simpler method of foundations which may be helpful for ideas and inspiration - far quicker and cheaper:

My garden office simply sits on breeze blocks with a small about of concrete to help with levelling. I have a large metal tool store that sits happily on breeze blocks lying on bare, levelled and tamped earth with a simple timber frame base on top of those.

I don't think you need to worry about wind uplift, my garden structures have sat quite happily through several 50+ mph storm winds and not gone anywhere.The office just creaked a bit in one of the worst storms we've encountered.

If you are adjusting forever (why?) then I would say adjustable patio feet would be easier.

If it is for initially, then perhaps just level up the pads as per tradition.

My shed is on adjustable feet because the ground continually adjusts itself - infill.

If you don't need it it is a crazy idea B|. In that case there are all those cats-eyes on the motorway that need counting.

All the steel anchors etc have been given to me for free. I designed them all in china and got them CE approved and handled conformance 3 years ago so my old boss has done me a very kind favour and supplied them FOC.

Only reason for long term adjustability is because I like the idea of being able to fix it if a certain pile sunk and settled - so just tried to improve on the design of the one in the video... never keep things simple and my inner inventor usually runs away with itself haha.

Edited by iSelfBuild

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I like that idea of threaded rod into concrete in holes, cheap, easy to DIY. @Declan52 are you watching?, far easier than concrete base!!!, just convince er indoors.

I had a shed on an adjustable base. It was built on scaffold planks and when it sunk I used my large crow bar to prise it up and pack it with slate. But then rats decided to move in and built a nest and ate there way into my shed so from now on a concrete base is my first choice. 

Don't see any reason not to use these as there free so fire away and report back.

As @joe90 and @Declan52say, if they're free and you feel like trying them out, just give it a go and see how it works! Nothing wrong with trying out your own ideas, actually more credit to you for doing that. It'll only be after you do it you'll really know if it's a good or crazy idea.

Edited by SimonD