Best water pipe diameter

Jilly

My utilities connection is due soon and they specified 32mm pipe. 

The builder put 25mm pipe in by mistake (plus a join, which I was annoyed about). The builder's more switched on partner is taking over the project and has said they will relay 32mm if their plumber says 25mm will be inadequate. I'm sceptical obviously as I looked into fire suppression and this needs 32mm. I haven't spec'd the installation of this, but really dislike 'closing doors' to future things. 

I hate throwing my toys out of the pram to get what I want but should I insist? Any more good reasons gratefully received. 

The connection may be refused as it’s not to specification.

im a firm believer in installing as specified.

I will make recommendations prior to install date, if they aren’t incorporated, I have tried to assist, when they change their mind later, it’s a day work

• Thanks 1

Hi why do you want fire suppression fitted?. You need to look at how much you insurance will go up by having this fitted due to risk of flooding or accidental actuation of the system. Plus the cost of having it fitted. House fires do happen of course but these are usually down to arson ,bad house keeping overloaded plug sockets or careless disposal of smoking materials. Bit of subject I know sorry.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jilly said:

... they specified 32mm pipe. ...

Thats all that needs to be said really. The consequences of the  error are clear. No 32mm, no sign off.

Unless there's  reason to suspect mis-communication rather than addle-headedness, then don't pay ( or pay an appropriate amount)  until it's put right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know, I hate confrontation...I called the builder off as loads of little things like this have happened. I stupidly paid (I know, I know). I'm giving the chap's partner a chance to take over and put things right, so I'm waiting. 

The plumber will no doubt say it’s fine, as he is being paid by the builder so will be on his next job too. You will be stitched up.

the plumber won’t have showers going, washing machine running garden taps etc he will say it’s fine, or as others have said allow for future proofing for anything such as sprinklers.  
The reason the designers in the utility company specify things is so builders don’t just buy the cheapest product at the merchants

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyT said:

The plumber will no doubt say it’s fine, as he is being paid by the builder so will be on his next job too. You will be stitched up.

the plumber won’t have showers going, washing machine running garden taps etc he will say it’s fine, or as others have said allow for future proofing for anything such as sprinklers.  
The reason the designers in the utility company specify things is so builders don’t just buy the cheapest product at the merchants

Tell me about it. The pipe costs about £50, nothing in the scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

My utilities connection is due soon and they specified 32mm pipe. 

The builder put 25mm pipe in by mistake (plus a join, which I was annoyed about). The builder's more switched on partner is taking over the project and has said they will relay 32mm if their plumber says 25mm will be inadequate. I'm sceptical obviously as I looked into fire suppression and this needs 32mm. I haven't spec'd the installation of this, but really dislike 'closing doors' to future things. 

I hate throwing my toys out of the pram to get what I want but should I insist? Any more good reasons gratefully received. 

How long is the run, is it in duct? Are we talking 25m here or 250m?

Is the ground above the trench still just rough made up ground - i.e. no reason why you cannot re-dig it easily enough?

Personally I'd probably just dig it up, lay in a 32mm and leave the 25mm next to it just in case there is a future benefit to it being there - you never know - could even be repurposed for something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About 25m. That's a good idea, they've already back tracked another mistaken hole (soakaway that didn't work) and they took the pipes out and I wish they'd left them. Yes, it's still rough ground, but clay like the Somme. It's really difficult to work with until April or so. 

Edited by Jilly