Sticking down castellated trays

swelliott

20 minutes ago, swelliott said:

I'm  not one of those developers who doesn't give a s**t about the buyers and would prefer to sell my properties knowing I've done a good job that the new owners will be happy with.

Can you let us know roughly where this flat is in case anyone on here's looking to buy it? ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

You can’t say you are going to do a good job if you aren’t insulating under the UFH.

?

I didn’t say I wasn’t going to insulate under the UFH. All I’ve said is that I have minimal floor height to work with, so I’m trying to find the best way of installing it. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Thing is, we all know that mug punters may pay more for UFH because they don't know it has been fitted with insufficient insulation.  If you are happy to live with that, so be it, but don't expect a round of applause on here.

I agree. Just wants the Kudos of Underfloor heating, and the uplift of the extra sale price......if the poster looked into it he would soon find out, that the result from what he is proposing will be crap, and seriously expensive to run. still, not the sellers problem by then. He says he cares.....If he does then fit a proper, fit for purpose heating system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I agree. Just wants the Kudos of Underfloor heating, and the uplift of the extra sale price......if the poster looked into it he would soon find out, that the result from what he is proposing will be crap, and seriously expensive to run. still, not the sellers problem by then. He says he cares.....If he does then fit a proper, fit for purpose heating system.

I’ve never said anything of the sort. I came on here saying I would like to fit UFH in the flat. I’ve never done it before and was interested in finding out the implications and consequences of fitting a UFH system in the flat with what I have to work with. If it doesn’t lend itself to UFH, then I’m more than happy to install rads and do some boxing in. Again, I never said I wouldn’t do it. I just wanted to clarify things before making my mind up.

But to say I want the kudos of UFH just to get more money is completely unfair. I’m simply seeing if UFH is a viable option, which it doesn’t sound like it is unless I can get a decent amount of insulation underneath. 

12 hours ago, TonyT said:

You can’t say you are going to do a good job if you aren’t insulating under the UFH.

?

no one here is telling you UFH is a good solution 

and all are telling  you it will not work  well  if you cannot get more insulation under it  -

but as you seem to know it all 

I cannot understand why you bother to ask our gurus ?

If you can afford 40mm of height -then use part of that to insulate the concrete floor -then add floor covering 

and fit std rads with plumbing hidden in skirting boards 

and as you say the floor above is concrete  - then to do the right job that should also be using thick insulated PB on the ceiling or you will be heating both the flat above and the one below 

I would consider your idea  to fit that UFH to extract a better price is almost  fraudulent as it will not give any of the advantages that UFH does when fitted correctly and will cost more to run that std rads 

so don,t be telling us you care about the buyer -- you don,t -- its all about the profit  to you 

Edited by scottishjohn

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

As you don't know the OP from Adam, that statement seems a little unfair.

possibly a bit harsh  --but would you think a flat with badly specified UFH should command a better price than a  STD system that works -- we all seen the slagging ASHP get when badly specfied or fitted in   an old house with many basic problems 

but it was statement that UFH will make it command a higher price - even though he has been  told  it won,t work 

I know what my view would be if I bought it and was expecting a good performing system and economical running costs

and not something a buyer could check on  at all at time of purchase ,only when the gas bills came in would he find the truth of how bad  a system 

I know in England now some house sales  have a clause that if things like heating,cooker   etc fail or  do not work correctly --then there can be a claim back to sort the problem under the terms of the sale agreement -- for a period  after sale 

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

possibly a bit harsh  --but would you think a flat with badly specified UFH should command a better price than a  STD system that works -- we all seen the slagging ASHP get when badly specfied or fitted in   an old house with many basic problems 

but it was statement that UFH will make it command a higher price - even though he has been  told  it won,t work 

I know what my view would be if I bought it and was expecting a good performing system and economical running costs

and not something a buyer could check on  at all at time of purchase ,only when the gas bills came in would he find the truth of how bad  a system 

I know in England now some house sales  have a clause that if things like heating,cooker   etc fail or  do not work correctly --then there can be a claim back to sort the problem under the terms of the sale agreement -- for a period  after sale 

"but it was statement that UFH will make it command a higher price - even though he has been  told  it won,t work'

If you had bothered to read the post I was replying to, I was merely pointing out that profit doesn't come from solely making the build cost cheaper, because if it did I wouldn't be on here trying to find out whether UFH was a viable option.  Nowhere did I say that I wanted to install UFH regardless of opinion because I will get more money from it.  Yes, UFH would be more desirable, but the cost to install it is a lot more than rads so I can't be doing it just for the moeny.  I have clearly stated in a few posts now that I came on here asking what the general advice is as to whether it would work or not, and I have heard most people's constructive comments that it wouldn't work without a good level of insulation, and as such I have taken that advice onboard and will be installing radiators instead.  

But to reply to my posts making comments like yours is completely unjustified and unreasonable.  Honestly, if you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother saying anything.

• Like 1

It would still be good if you could put some floor insulation down, but no so crucial as you are not heating it up.  Any is better than none but I get that digging up the floor is a no-no.

For floor finishes, have you tried LVT / Karndean / Amtico?  Properly fitted it looks great.  Still nice to have carpet in the bedroom though!

Have you considered running the pipes for radiators in the 40mm build up you have available?

Like UFH, radiators can be run from a manifold system. Although the manifold would need 22mm (probably) pipes to it you could then run 15/16mm (or maybe smaller 10/12mm) insulated pipes from the manifold to each radiator.

You'd then hide the pipes - which is your concern and I fully understand. This method would also then ensure that you don't have too big a heat loss out of the building.#

You could go for electric UFH in bathroom/shower room for background warming of the floor to pimp it up!

Edited by OldSpot