Dimmable LED strips running off the lighting circuit

gravelld

I'm trying to source some LED strip lights like https://www.ledspace.co.uk/collections/12v-white-led-strips .

However, I want them to run off the dimmer switch on the wall - i.e. be on the lighting circuit.

Is this possible?

I noticed this on LED Space website:

if you wish to dim the LED strip then you must place a dimmer on the low voltage side

Does that mean I have to source a mains voltage strip and is that even possible?

Thanks. But those drivers have outputs for two-core flex don't they? LED strips have a different type of connector.

Do I simply cut the strips to length and attach a plug that is compatible with the driver, e.g. https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/easy-to-use-snap-connector-and-cable-3a-1500mm-compatible-with-syndeo ?

Seems like it's all proprietary sockets, am I missing something?

17 hours ago, gravelld said:

Thanks. But those drivers have outputs for two-core flex don't they? LED strips have a different type of connector.

You just clip the connector shown to the end of the strip and then the two wires connect to the power supply.

It seems to have a plug on the other end that would fit a specific (syndeo) power supply, but you can cut that off and connect to any power supply with the right specs.

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2021 at 17:00, gravelld said:

I'm trying to source some LED strip lights like https://www.ledspace.co.uk/collections/12v-white-led-strips .

However, I want them to run off the dimmer switch on the wall - i.e. be on the lighting circuit.

Is this possible?

Does that mean I have to source a mains voltage strip and is that even possible?

I have 3 light boxes in the kitchen, dining room and lounge and I have put them on a dimmable remote control which is really easy to do and makes turning on/off and dimming very easy

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2021 at 19:03, gravelld said:

Thanks everyone. I got the kit from Ultra LEDs and everything wired in really easy.

Glad to hear. I was looking at this thread over the weekend and had a question about using RGB leds.

Would the dimmer work just the same. You would need to control the colour programme by remote or app but will the dimmer alter the light level on whatever the programme is in use?

Depends on the driver - we have plain white LEDs in otherwise hard to light places  - e.g. bathrooms with bulkheads, loft rooms etc.

For some rooms the driver is dimmable so just the wall switch needs to be changed to a dimmer, others have non dimmable drivers so those would need replaced and the switch.

I've put cheap  RGB LEDs (from Amazon) strips in the kids bedrooms and they have a driver (that has the IR / BT / audio interface) that's driven by a mains transformer so you could never dim them from the power side, only via the app or remote.

29 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Depends on the driver - we have plain white LEDs in otherwise hard to light places  - e.g. bathrooms with bulkheads, loft rooms etc.

For some rooms the driver is dimmable so just the wall switch needs to be changed to a dimmer, others have non dimmable drivers so those would need replaced and the switch.

I've put cheap  RGB LEDs (from Amazon) strips in the kids bedrooms and they have a driver (that has the IR / BT / audio interface) that's driven by a mains transformer so you could never dim them from the power side, only via the app or remote.

That answers the question, you can’t feed a reduced signal from a dimmed transformer into the LED controller (colour or white). It’s straight up whites only (or other sole colour) with no original control mechanism.

The dimming thing isn’t important but I would like to be able to cut the plug transformer off the RGB kit and splice on a 12v transformer so it can go on the lighting circuit not in a socket.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

The dimming thing isn’t important but I would like to be able to cut the plug transformer off the RGB kit and splice on a 12v transformer so it can go on the lighting circuit not in a socket.

We have a few 13A style sockets on the 5a lighting circuit that are in wardrobes and that's how the kids LEDs and also Ikea wardrobe lights work.

On 18/02/2021 at 17:00, gravelld said:

Is this possible?

You get mains dimmable LED power supplies. Very common. Got a box of the 24V units in my loft. 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Just buy a correctly rated proper power supply. I hate these kits from Ikea and the like because they sell them with inappropriate wallwart style PSU's which as you are finding are no good to hardwire in correctly.

Most of these tapes are 24V - some domestic market ones are 12V - just work out the watts per meter, multiply up by your run length and that gives you the power, then get the right voltage to suit your LED's - so if you need 34.8W and 24V go find a 45W power supply or what not.

I have used these guys a lot:

https://www.sunpower-uk.com/product-category/led-lighting-power-supply/constant-voltage-led-drivers/

Only additional issue you have is your using RGB - you are going to need to control each channel separately to achieve the colours you want, so you will need to incorporate a little dimmer for those - you can also put each colour onto a separate power supply and use a 3G dimmer - 1 for each channel but that might get a bit clunky. 

I'd probably use a little LED colour scene controller or put it onto a Shelly controlled via my phone. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1