Timber supply issues due to brexit

Just spoke to my BM . No CLS timer and no idea when they’ll get some . Luckily before brexit they ordered many tons of the ‘round’ edged stuff - so went with that .

If you’re going to need timber - best to get your order in .

Edited by pocster

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I called into our local merchant earlier in the week, he was telling me timber prices have risen sharply in recent weeks, particularly Oak.

Oh dear ! I guessed it wasn’t just me but national . At least my walk on glazing will increase 10 fold in value as demand exceeds supply .

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I called into our local merchant earlier in the week, he was telling me timber prices have risen sharply in recent weeks, particularly Oak.

I posted regarding this after the origenal . Brexit vote 

I asked the timber merchant How can Brexit effect English oak when it grows here ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, nod said:

I asked the timber merchant How can Brexit effect English oak when it grows here ?

I asked our oak merchant that same question  T.K Knipe in South Cumbria. Heres his response

The company does not sell much English oak unless it's harvested from the North East of Cumbria- i.e. in the wind-shadow of the Cumbrian fells. The battering any oak on the windward side of the fells makes the grain confused and difficult to work. The price is many times more than the oak he imports from France:  straight-grained longer lengths of knot-free wood.

Edited by ToughButterCup

In the uk we decided a while back that monoculture sitka was how we prefer our forestry to the extent that the silvicultural skills for growing decent oak are in short supply. Safe to say that given the time it takes to grow decent oak it will be a while before the situation  resolves itself.

21 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Typical I need to purchase around £1000 oak in coming weeks ?

I spent a 1000 three and a bit years ago for the English oak to make the pictured canopy 

I wonder what it will cost for the next one 

C240C7D7-CAF5-41A5-B56E-9A8A6E0766C9.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

looks like i will be going for a masonry build rather than timber frame if that is the case :)

I’m sure they will get round to hiking The price of bricks up 

They slapped a 30% hike on blocks after Brexit last time 

Made in Wales Raw materials Wales 

If I could spell it I would be more specific ?

Just now, nod said:

I’m sure they will get round to hiking The price of bricks up 

They slapped a 30% hike on blocks after Brexit last time 

Made in Wales Raw materials Wales 

If I could spell it I would be more specific ?

ringing builders merchants local to me, dense standard blocks are in the range 64 - 72p + VAT on a full load. Unfortunately i mainly want lightweights which are topping a quid each

There is no basis to put prices up due to Brexit, Covid and the increased cost of keeping businesses operating yes.

Bit of paperwork and £167.00 for us to customs clear a fully loaded Artic, offset by reduced transport costs as there are now less delays and the ferries are competing for business due to there being no holiday makers.

I think it’s as good excuse to make a bit more profit 

We have a large independent BM near us About 100 staff

They have mountains of timber stocked up over the lockdown I can bet my bottom Dollar that they sell it at the new price 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GaryM said:

@Adrian Walker thanks for the link, I had already found them and intending to use them. 

Have you had timber from them before?

I need structural oak PAR, for use as solid treads in a staircase

Yes, and good prices

Just placed another order for Fresh Sawn Structural Grade European Oak, actually to build a 4 poster bed!

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 10:30, markc said:

There is no basis to put prices up due to Brexit, Covid and the increased cost of keeping businesses operating yes.

Bit of paperwork and £167.00 for us to customs clear a fully loaded Artic, offset by reduced transport costs as there are now less delays and the ferries are competing for business due to there being no holiday makers.

Interestingly, I just put in an order for some stuff to be delivered from Germany. A quick phone call to HMRC, which was very promptly answered btw, gave me all the info I needed that any duty on what I was ordering would be either 0% up to a max of 2.5% (varies as I didn't have all the codes I needed). VAT is chargable and payable only once, so either on purchase or customs.

For me it's got to be down to Covid and related supply/demand issues.

• Thanks 1