Hello :-)

Greenbot

Afternoon all,

I've just found this forum and it seems to be what I need!  I've just renovated a 130m2 semi over the last 4 years, and I applied for the green homes grant in October... I am very nervous about going ahead with an ASHP and looking for some real-world experiences, which I'll start a thread for.

What I've read on here so far has been very useful, thank you!  I'm pretty well educated on the heat pump topic but there is precious little reassurance to be had when nobody I know has heard of them.  I live in the north east, so not the coldest but not warm either!

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Do you have gas/oil central heating?

If you were just hoping to swap out heating sources why not turn the boiler down so it’s producing 40 deg water flow through the radiators and see how you get on?

If it is a condensing boiler it may well stop condensing.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it is a condensing boiler it may well stop condensing.

I think @TonyTis suggesting that a trial 40 degree run for a few days during a cold spell of weather will allow @chrisgreen to assess whether an ASPH will keep the property warm via the current radiators.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

Do you have gas/oil central heating?

If you were just hoping to swap out heating sources why not turn the boiler down so it’s producing 40 deg water flow through the radiators and see how you get on?

Hi! 

Wish we did, but the house has no central heating at all - just a log burner in the lounge. I've kicked off a thread with more info...would be great if you all could take a look and see what you think!

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/23627-will-ashp-or-air-to-air-be-better-for-a-1930s-detached-or-storage-heaters/

2 minutes ago, TonyT said:

That was indeed my thinking!?

A trial low temperature run of the existing boiler is such a good idea Parliament should enshrine it in statute law. This would force all these cowboy ASPH installers, pocketing ££'s from incentive schemes, to demonstrate to a customer how a heatpump will perform at a COP 3 factor with existing radiators.

• Like 1