Annexe above garage

Coops

Hi again all, I'm trying to navigate the laws surrounding annexe accomodation in England, hopefully someone can clear this up.

I'm planning to build a triple bay garage with accomodation above complete with a new vehicular access and hard parking area. I want the accomodation above to form a self contained apartment for the 67yo mother in law...My planning consultant is telling me that it can't have a kitchen as this will arouse suspicions of future ambitions to use as a separate dwelling? Guidance surrounding this seems a tad grey, has anyone done this, what's the deal? Do I just add a kitchen after sign off? 

28 minutes ago, Coops said:

Do I just add a kitchen after sign off?

Yes ... add the toilet / bathroom as that has biggest sign off (soil drainage) and identify as an office/spare room and use proper fire proofing throughout such as fire line boards for ceilings etc. Then when it is all signed off put a kitchenette into the living area but don’t wall it off. Part P sparky could then self cert any sockets etc. 

Gotcha, (I think) so the room identified on planning app as home office room can quite legally have a toilet, which will evolve into a full on bathroom post completion and basically provide first fix cabling for kitchenette into main living space/lounge area then install kitchenette after completion? 

24 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes ... add the toilet / bathroom as that has biggest sign off (soil drainage) and identify as an office/spare room and use proper fire proofing throughout such as fire line boards for ceilings etc. Then when it is all signed off put a kitchenette into the living area but don’t wall it off. Part P sparky could then self cert any sockets etc. 

Just now, Coops said:

Gotcha, (I think) so the room identified on planning app as home office room can quite legally have a toilet, which will evolve into a full on bathroom post completion and basically provide first fix cabling for kitchenette into main living space/lounge area then install kitchenette after completion? 

Yep - just make it big enough for a shower - could even carve off the inside of the “shower room” with a storage cupboard that gets replaced by a shower when signed off. 

How do you plan to heat this space ..?? Or provide hot water to it ..?

Our garage has a room above which I will use as an office. It has a bathroom with shower and a small 'kitchen' area. Our architect marked it as 'Studio' on the plans and we didn't have any issues with it through planning. Not sure if we just got lucky as I know of others nearby who have had their ambitions for over-garage accommodation neutered by planning. 

These are the plans which were approved, if they help at all. 

1817181086_Screenshot2021-02-17at13_02_52.thumb.png.b5fe33e0eecf2ddb37b923dc9c63656a.png

Thanks Andrew, seems as long as rooms are labeled cleverly - all will be well. I suppose the reality is a studio/office with an attached shower room is acceptable as being ancillary to the main dwelling rather than self contained accomodation in its own right.

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Our garage has a room above which I will use as an office.

Andrew - Does your garage/studio have a flat roof or is it effectively two-storey?  The reason I ask is that I submitted the plans below to allow for flexibility for a storage/games room space and I've just received a negative reaction from planning based on the "overall scale".

image.png.7074523e92eddd1a5882d14884a319d7.png

image.thumb.png.6a599bf4350faf72b4e81dd8ba0aa217.png

1 hour ago, Phaedrus said:

Andrew - Does your garage/studio have a flat roof or is it effectively two-storey?  The reason I ask is that I submitted the plans below to allow for flexibility for a storage/games room space and I've just received a negative reaction from planning based on the "overall scale".

It's a room in the roof type i.e. 

1795936921_Screenshot2021-02-17at15_30_20.thumb.png.149a369d59ea6421f5273c28085e8579.png

• Thanks 1