Garage roof

James94

We’ve just started to set out the tiles on the garage roof, we have laid out a couple of full rows front and back but not sure how to make them fit. Does anybody have some ideas on the best way to make these fit, here is a few pics.

Regards. James

DDEF6FC6-7503-4299-BC6B-C0EF39AEF1B8.jpeg

5FB5AFEC-6274-4FCB-8923-1124BD4D8878.jpeg

Edited by James94

Anyone got any advice? The issue is the garage roof is a set size and the tiles have a left and right hand verge tiles, to make them fit on a row they push each side out. So do you have any ideas what a roofer would do other than cut them, don’t really want to have cut ends 

( this is why we got verge tiles)

or am I over thinking it, is this to much overhanging?

Regards.  James

When i tiled my roof, you will find if they are interlocking tiles, then you can adjust the overlap at each tile by 2 or 3 mm easily.  That, over the width of a garage roof, plus the fact you can buy half width tiles, will enable you to get the length you want with the overhang you want, without any cutting.

Thanks, maybe the way forward I’ll see how they fit with a little bit of spreading. We have the small tiles for the verges so we don’t have any cut edges showing but they just don’t fit right, they make the verge overhang 80 mm each gable and it’s just to much.

Regards. James

first question is what make are the tiles?. as prodave said you should be able to gain or lose a couple of mm per tile, but this all hinges on the roof size being designed from the outset to have these tiles, if you have built the roof to an artbitrary size and are now only trying to work out the overhangs you are going to have problems as it doesnt look like a big area. if they are your standard marley/redland/benders concrete linterlocking tile they are generally multiples of 300mm plus what ever size the cloak tiles are at either end and half tiles are usually availiable but can and often do have a slight colour variation so can look unsightly best bet would be to look up the setting out guide for the make of tiles you have

The tiles are made by sandtoft, the make are Rivius standard size and roof is not very big so won’t be able to gain much by Spreading them out. I didn’t think of looking on there website on setting out but I will do that before anything else.

Regards. James

just had a look and the setting out guide thay have is pretty crap really https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/content/dam/wienerberger/united-kingdom/marketing/documents-magazines/technical/UK_MKT_DOC_TEC_ROF_SAN_Install_Guide_Rivius_en_001.pdf 

the setting out guide says you need a 38-50mm overhand at the verge. it also says that you have a 3-4mm "shunt" availiable which is about normal for interlocking tiles but as i said if you havent carefully designed the roof from the start to work with the gauge of the tiles you are going to struggle and all you can do is shunt the tiles as close together as possible and live with the overhang or cut the tiles at the ends, as i suspect you wont want to completely rebuild a wall and make your garage 40mm wider... 

was this garage designed from the beginning to have these tiles? and if so did you angage an architect/ architectural technician to do drawings for you, it is quite a big omission as you generally need to design these roof systems from the outside in especially if they are a small length.

i also suspect that if you carry on with the larger overhang and have problems with the tiles/verge sagging or cracking the manufacturer will state that they have not been fitted according to the guide and will reject any claim