Premium for Eco Bling?

Phaedrus

19 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Thanks.  The tanks I've seen from the likes of Rainwater Harvesting have a backflow filter and a submersible pump but none of these disinfection provisions.  At >£2k + installation for the 3000l tank, I'm tempted to look at buried IBCs or concrete manholes which are suggested in the other thread. 

IBCs will quickly collapse if buried without a retaining structure which will cost you more than an underground tank.

I did build an IBC DIY solution but happened to have a concrete retaining structure already built as part as our basement egress.

As above, quite often you need some RWH to satisfy the regulatory water calc.

I would not invest further in a parallel toilet flush capability as that will incur further cost (duplicate piping, plumbing labour etc) plus backup mains tanks etc. Use it for the garden with a cheap submersible pump and get the tank in the ground when your other groundworks are happening and there is plant on site.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Waste of time and money.  They used to do these when it first came out.  Now it is self cert.

well, it may have been a waste of time and money but as we paid a flat fee for our architects and the water calcs came as part of the thermal modelling package as far as I'm concerned it wasn't extra money paid but part of the fees. so no harm done either way.

We use water heavily in summer as we have a large kitchen garden and fish pond.  We are putting together a collection of IBCs that will see us through (we hope) the hottest part of the summer.

We regularly empty out some water from the pond to water the kitchen garden and are intending to replenish from the IBCs.  It is a big pond with very large koi carp.  

We also have a problem with flooding at the front of the plot and the soak away is in the front paddock.  Our thoughts are to reduce the water going into the soak away as much as possible so that the water coming off the drive can soak into the front paddock instead.  We have also widened the ditch bordering the plot at the front to cope with excess rainwater.

We have five IBCs set up in series collecting water from the house.  This will be used to water the (yet to be created) flower beds in the front paddock. We will have two more in the front paddock collecting water from a shed.  

Two IBCs on one side of the “car port / shed / utility room” and one on the other (a symmetric roof).

Five more IBCs in the kitchen garden.

We know we will be pumping water from one place to another to get it where it is needed and create capacity in the collecting IBCs but putting it all together we are hopeful it will work for us.

We do not intend to use any of the water collected for use in the house - it is all for the garden / pond.

• Like 1