Makita Cordless Circular

Onoff

30 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Does he have any other 18 volt tools?

we are a 18 and 54 volt dewalt set up and stick to one supplier for a few years until they break down

No this will be his first decent brand 18V. He was thinking DeWalt but I suggested Makita. 

Following this as My really old battery makita is failing and i to will be looking fir the best possible replacement in this brand, the old one is at least 14 years old so has lasted really well and has done a hell of a lot of work.

12 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Following this as My really old battery makita is failing and i to will be looking fir the best possible replacement in this brand, the old one is at least 14 years old so has lasted really well and has done a hell of a lot of work.

Is it the saw or the batteries failing? 14 years old, has it had / does it need new brushes? (Guessing it's brushed).

18V old red Nicads or black NiMH?

Adapter any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-Li-ion-to-for-Makita-Adapter-18V-Ni-cd-Ni-Mh-Batteries-Converter-M-U-/193499504996?

Short term I'm going to FINISH ? my Makita battery to Champion tool adapter and see how that runs. I've literally ONLY got to cut and bend some 1mm copper up then solder a couple of wires and female spades on. Hope to be done by tomorrow night. 

20200403_125246

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is it the saw or the batteries failing

Thanks @Onoff I just had a look and the brushed are fine, however the battery is the old sort and must be worn out.... it works in the drill and impact driver but the power draw from the saw just runs it completely flat very quickly, the new batteries don’t fit...... I guess I could have a look on line for an old style battery. 

My Makita brushless 18V works well enough, but it can chew through batteries like there's no tomorrow. It depends what he plans to do with it, but if he's expecting to make lots of long cuts, especially through thicker stock, I'd consider one of the twin-battery models and pay the premium for two batteries. 

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Thanks @Onoff I just had a look and the brushed are fine, however the battery is the old sort and must be worn out.... it works in the drill and impact driver but the power draw from the saw just runs it completely flat very quickly, the new batteries don’t fit...... I guess I could have a look on line for an old style battery. 

See my link above to use new style batteries on the old tools.

A bit off thread...

Only 2 days later than planned but I finished my Makita battery to Champion circular saw! (Finished the second set of parts to convert the BiL's one too). The saws were bought with two Nicad batteries and charger, in their own case, years ago, at 75% off marked price for £25 when a Focus/Do It All was closing. Never seen much use didn't have much grunt and the batteries died quickly. Not sure how well it will work or even last. (My previous attempt at converting the Rolson 18V grinder to work with 18V batteries looked like it was a winner until the tool burnt out). A quick video at this link:

https://flic.kr/p/2kDdSQh

I do note the saws no load speed is only around 2500rpm compared to say a modern Makita that runs at twice that. If cheap enough I guess I could try a gruntier motor from Banggood, AliExpress etc.

I'll have a go on some sheet material later. 

Edited by Onoff

On 16/02/2021 at 17:44, Mr Punter said:

I have makita dhs680.  Very good.

I have the same model, it is my first circular saw.

It drains my one and only 3ah battery quickly. The other problem is that if I hand steer the saw into a slight deviation from a straight cut it can stall the motor as the sides of the blade bind on the wood and generate friction. A couple of days ago I was cutting 18mm plywood and used another block of wood as a guide to steer the saw along a straight cut, in this situation it performed very well and sliced its way through the plywood like butter.

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

my young cr’apprentice

You speak from the way of Makita . I have tread this path in the past . One night as grouting dread filled my soul with emptiness I saw the Dewalt light ! From that day till now I honour my skills(ish) to the one true Dewalt god .

52 minutes ago, pocster said:

You speak from the way of Makita . I have tread this path in the past . One night as grouting dread filled my soul with emptiness I saw the Dewalt light ! From that day till now I honour my skills(ish) to the one true Dewalt god .

Dewalt has two gods. The pro and the consumer.

Did you choose the right one, grasshopper?

• Like 1