I don't think the plumber thought this through....

Working on job recently

New toilet going in under the stairs, with a saniflow

Waste pipe goes down under the floor to come back up again about 10 feet away where it goes into the bottom of a tee piece and the tee goes into a strap on boss.

Top of the same tee has the boiler condensate drain into it.

I see 3 problems:

Condensate from the boiler will just drip down and fill the section of pipe under the floor and hope every now and then someone flushes the loo to pump it away.

When the saniflow pumps there is a lot of pressure in the discharge pipe.  What is to stop some of the s**t going straight up the boiler condensate drain pipe?

Even if neither of those scenarios happens, I see no trap.  Is there a trap in the boiler?  If not there is nothing to stop the stack pipe venting through the boiler.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Is there a trap in the boiler?

Yes, but not usually that deep so could be emptied in the right (wrong) circumstances. The sewer smells would still be contained though (or rather would be blown out of the flue, via the burner!). 

38 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I was just confirming my suspicion that it might not be "best practice"

How often do you actually see “best practice”? ... I’d wager it’s a lot less frequent than “fit for purpose” and significantly less than “that’ll do”.... and the most common of all “f**k it in any old way!”

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

How often do you actually see “best practice”? ... I’d wager it’s a lot less frequent than “fit for purpose” and significantly less than “that’ll do”.... and the most common of all “f**k it in any old way!”

I try and remind myself of that whenever I fail to do something perfectly or, worse still, a tradesman I'm paying for does instead! I also try and remember there are a million other houses out there with less-than-perfect aspects to them and they somehow find a way to live a perfectly functional life without losing sleep.. ?

• Like 1