Self contained loft conversion

Hi there,

I'm thinking about building a self contained 1/2 bedroom flat in my loft for my son. It's a double front semi detached house, 10m x 9m,  so I plan on putting a hip/gable and dormer all the way across the back of the house. 

I would really love to build and external staircase for a private entrance from the ground straight to the loft. As seen in the picture theres an unused alleyway on the side of the house. So do you think it would viable to build there? 

Thanks.

20201231_105513.jpg

It doesnt look unused. Can see where its been walked? Animals?

First thing to do..

1) Do a search at the land registry to find out who owns it. You may have to request a "map search" as its unlikely to have an address. This involves sending them a OS map with the land highlighted. Make sure to use the real site which looks less professional than the fakes!

2) Find out from the footpath officer or map on county council web if there is a public footpath.

If nobody owns it and its not a public footpath you could try claiming it. However the full process takes 12+ years and there are no guarantees. You have to fence it off "to the exclusion of all others" for that time. Ideally with a 6ft fence but planning rules mean it may have to be a 1m fence. Then see what happens. Chances are Mrs Miggins of number 22 will claim she's walked her Pickneese Tricky Woo there for the past 200 years. In which case she may have a right of access and your plan is probably history.

If nobody raises any issues you would then need to look at the planning situation. The staircase may be considered a "side extension" and i think there is a 4m height limit above which you need planning permission.

If its going to be capable of "seperate occupation" you may need Planning Permission. What you need to do for Building Control Approval may also be an issue as the specification for floors between separate dwellings is different to floors within one dwelling. May also need its own electricity meter, gas, water meters?.

If its retained as part of the house, the house becomes 3 storey. That can have implications for your ground floor. For example you may need to replace doors on the ground and first floor. More if its open plan.

Lots to think about sorry.