Crumbly window ledge

Pocster

I would normally add some stainless steel pins and ties if it’s a deep area to replace, these are bits of wire glued into the existing stone so that the new mortar has something solid to attach to, you then add the new mortar all around and over the ties and this prevents any chance of it shearing of if the bond between old and new fails. If it’s a really thin repair you are sometimes better of grinding out a few lies with a diamond cutter so that the the new mortar can again get a better bond with the old. But you could just slap it on and hope for the best...... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

It looks like it just needs scraping back and filling with something like https://www.toolstation.com/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler/p35114

Is this from one of your filthy scumbag slum hovels luxury HMOs?

Yes from one of my luxury, multi residential, suburban, eco sustainable, high quality, residential abodes .I think that's what you meant? 

Mung builder ( aka I am not a builder but I think I am a builder ) has suggested he will 

"I got some bath stone mortar so the plan with the outside is to basically grind that crack to a joint 10mm wide basically on top and front then re point and seal all the under neath so it will kind of look like 2 seperate stones but that’s the best and neatest way to stop the damp"

On my daughters gaff, i ground out all the cracks and splits, after stripping off all the paint. Then over filled all the cracks with epoxy resin. ground back flush to the stone, then finished with p45 car body filler. Sanded, and then painted with three coats of masonary paint. Still look good after 4 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

On my daughters gaff, i ground out all the cracks and splits, after stripping off all the paint. Then over filled all the cracks with epoxy resin. ground back flush to the stone, then finished with p45 car body filler. Sanded, and then painted with three coats of masonary paint. Still look good after 4 years.

I did exactly the same on an old cottage stone sill and it is still good 6 years later