Hello everyone - a quick intro about me

SeanGreentree

Hi there everyone,

Just a quick post to introduce myself. I was very recently introduced to this forum by a local friend. I happened to mention that I own an infill 3/4 acre plot of land in North Norfolk on which one day, I would like to build my own property.

About 5 years ago, I looked into a new self build on this land, but whichever way I turned, I was hitting brick walls - most certainly due to my inexperience of the business, who to speak to, what to say, and where to start. So, it all went on the back burner for 5 years. However, the various lockdowns have enabled me to think more creatively about what can be done on the land, and with one thing leading to another, here I am on this wonderful forum. No further forward in terms of planning, but an enthusiastic newby self-builder who is keen to get his hands dirty, and take inspiration and support from a bunch of like-minded people.

So, that's me. I look forward to engaging with you all soon. Feel free to drop me a line - always happy to learn and share experiences.

Best,

Sean

Welcome. I am new here also but have planning consent for our new build.

When we started out the first thing we did was arrange a quick free of charge meeting with the local planning department to discuss the location and basic ideas for our build. Whilst clearly they could not give a decision at that time they did say that they saw no reason why we should not pursue it further. They provided some pointers as to how it should comply with the neighbours etc. Whilst this might be currently difficult during Covid times for a face to face you may be able to get an online meeting arranged. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Welcome. I am new here also but have planning consent for our new build.

When we started out the first thing we did was arrange a quick free of charge meeting with the local planning department to discuss the location and basic ideas for our build. Whilst clearly they could not give a decision at that time they did say that they saw no reason why we should not pursue it further. They provided some pointers as to how it should comply with the neighbours etc. Whilst this might be currently difficult during Covid times for a face to face you may be able to get an online meeting arranged. 

Good to know. Thanks for the advice. I may just look at the options here. Thanks again.

First thing to find out is if there is a made neighbourhood plan that covers your plot.  You can establish this from your local council.  If there's a neighbourhood plan, that should help you identify if your plot is buildable or not.  A pre-app consultation used to be a good way to find out this sort of thing, but most local authorities have stopped doing these at the moment.  You might get lucky with a phone call to your planning department (look on the council website to find out what hours a duty planning officer is available).  Good luck!

On 15/02/2021 at 17:25, Jtb said:

First thing to find out is if there is a made neighbourhood plan that covers your plot.  You can establish this from your local council.  If there's a neighbourhood plan, that should help you identify if your plot is buildable or not.  A pre-app consultation used to be a good way to find out this sort of thing, but most local authorities have stopped doing these at the moment.  You might get lucky with a phone call to your planning department (look on the council website to find out what hours a duty planning officer is available).  Good luck!

Perfect... thank you so much for your advice. I will certainly get in touch with Breckland District Council to find out if there is indeed a neighbourhood plan.