Which render? K Rend/ Weber or painter ?

Colin Shaw

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

What do people think of mixing "systems"  e,g putting a different make of top coat, e.g. krend, onto a Baumit base coat?

In theory the basecoats and tops coats would be interchangeable but the manufacturers will have tested and warranted them in combination. In practice my view is the warranty is all but useless as the supplier and installer will point fingers at each other. I did an EWI training course and the provider explained that a supplier who will be nameless would always find an installation fault or some other problem than the product itself - thickness of render basecoat, lack of drying of basecoat, structural movement, lack of adequate primer, too thick/thin top coat, too rapid drying of top coat, lack of mesh re-inforcement, etc. All these install faults may be real or not, but as the customer I could imagine it being something of a battle to estalish liability. 

personally I think these manufacturer warranties are pretty much worthless but where they supply a base, primer and top coat as a system, you would expect that they had tested and developed the products together so all things being equal, you'd probably take them all from the one supplier. I used Baumit for base, primer and top coat, but that was because all three made for a better deal commercially as much as anyhting else. they did offer good pre-sales and on site support to my installer, as well.

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2021 at 07:51, MarkyP said:

I have baumit thin coat silicate,  it's very nice but this year has developed a few algae patches  i will wash and scrub it this year which should clear it, there are products to kill the algae as well. But I think any modern texture finish will attract algae. 

A few thoughts on renders options:

Sand and cement is very likely to crack, my renderer said he now refused to do it any more. Modern renders use mesh reinforcement which isn't used typically used  with sand and cement. If you do use sand and cement,  you don't have to use acrylic paint, consider the mineral paint option as well.

Thin coat looks much better than monocouche. Mono is the stuff which is scraped back to very textured finish and uses exposed plastic beads. I think it looks horrible. Also the deeply textured nature makes it almost impossible to clean.

Of the thin coat options you have three in terms of finish, acrylic, silicone and silicate. Acrylic looks plastic and is a cheap finish. Silicone can still be sheeney but less so. Silicate is my pref, it has a mineralic and matt finish. It is more expensive but coverage is vast from a tub so it's not really a big driver of the cost of the job (or shouldn't be). It has the added benefit of being over painatble with a mineral paint rather than others which would need a film based paint which wouldn't look good at all.

Also be wary of the texture, the larger grain size changes the look considerably. I used baumit's finest grain af 1mm, I think it was called nanopor fine and it came up really nice. I don't like the typical 2 to 3mm grain texture finishes. 

Make sure your contractor knows what they are doing, thin coat is a very different method to sand and cement. Ask to see some reference sites if you can. 

MarkyP - many thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. Given me plenty to think about! Much appreciated..

• Thanks 1