Paint for mower deck?

Roundtuit

In anticipation of getting chance to grow some grass to cut this year, I've taken a bit of an off-season punt on a ride-on mower on ebay.  Mechanically, its looking pretty good and seems fairly solid, but the paintwork is poor and going need some work.  So,  starting with the deck, top and bottom - with a good wire-brushing prep only - any recommendations for a bullet proof paint please?

From someone I know who deals with these, most are scrapped because of rusted decks, such a shame when they can be saved with a little work. His top tip is to clean the deck underneath with a pressure washer regularly, stops grass building up like a poultice and breeding rust.

Edited by joe90

@OnoffYes, read the thread (with admiration!,) but could only find reference to 'zinc rich' paint I think; us amateurs need a bit more of a steer!  It's a John Deere, 22hp B&S engine, 48inch deck. 2009 model, but only 220 hours on the clock, if the clock works...  Steering is a bit sloppy, and paintwork is $h!te (must have lived outside for an extended period), but looks like it will cut grass! ?

Just now, Roundtuit said:

@OnoffYes, read the thread (with admiration!,) but could only find reference to 'zinc rich' paint I think; us amateurs need a bit more of a steer!  It's a John Deere, 22hp B&S engine, 48inch deck. 2009 model, but only 220 hours on the clock, if the clock works...  Steering is a bit sloppy, and paintwork is $h!te (must have lived outside for an extended period), but looks like it will cut grass! ?

As others have said keeping them clean is key. I push ours on it's side and hose it off periodically. You can buy or make a stand that you drive onto then jack it up. This is typical:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifter-Lifting-Device-Garden-Tractor/dp/B00OV5JKLK

I think I used Pro-Cote Cold Galv Spray from T'station (quite a fan of it). Also Simoniz Tough Black spray paint. I got a couple of cans of "orange" top coat from Halfords, it was a country mile off of the original Westwood colour! ?

There's a lawnmower forum when you're ready...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

From someone I know who deals with these, most are scrapped because of rusted decks, such a shame when they can be saved with a little work. His top tip is to clean the deck underneath with a pressure washer regularly, stops grass building up like a poultice and breeding rust.

Some time ago there was someone on ebay making replacement decks (just the deck). They were a bit agricultural looking but probably used thicker metal. They were way cheaper than buying a whole deck assembly like some makes insist you do. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Temp said:

Some time ago there was someone on ebay making replacement decks (just the deck). They were a bit agricultural looking but probably used thicker metal. They were way cheaper than buying a whole deck assembly like some makes insist you do. 

Haven't finished cleaning off the rusty crap yet, but hoping the deck's solid enough to get a few seasons out of with a bit of preventative maintenance.  If not, a new deck shell would be interesting as all the bearings etc look good.

Tip for the B&S engine.. Some have an automatic decompressor cam that is intended to make starting easier. However the cam hardly lifts the exhaust valve at all so its operation depends on the valve rocker clearance. So if the starter on your B&S engine struggles or even fails to turn over the engine it might not be the starter or battery. Check the valve clearance is spot on.

23 minutes ago, Temp said:

Tip for the B&S engine.. Some have an automatic decompressor cam that is intended to make starting easier. However the cam hardly lifts the exhaust valve at all so its operation depends on the valve rocker clearance. So if the starter on your B&S engine struggles or even fails to turn over the engine it might not be the starter or battery. Check the valve clearance is spot on.

Thanks. That's a bit beyond my current skill set, but good info as I suspect this is going to become a new hobby...

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Come on pictures.....

Those black scouring pad looking things in a grinder are excellent for removing rust and scale. Then my choice would be to paint with a couple of coats of POR15 and something like Jotomastic (another epoxy mastic paint) on the inside and whatever colour you want outside over the POR15. (The POR15 is not UV stable so needs something to cover it.) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Come on pictures.....

It wasn't well:

20200418_104748.png

20200328_100203

We made it at least better:

20200327_163706.thumb.jpg.727eb4c40adc783531eb6c0fb03430ab

20200328_123029

20200421_154627

Had to source a new transaxle back end, rebuild the pcb, derust bits using hot citric acid & electrolysis etc.

IMG_20190820_114727808

IMG_20190820_183127007

My lad even managed to bring back the completely dead lead acid wet battery. Cleaned it with a bicarbonate of soda solution about 10% bicarb. That reacts & cleans all the crap off the plates. Rinsed. Then filled with 12% Epsom salt solution and trickle charged for 24 hours. Up to about 13V and has started the mower no problem half a dozen times. That's with the Epsom salt solution still in and no "real" acid.

20200421_154627

These Westwood's mind are a bit crash, bang, agricultural compared to the John Deere. A lad on the mig welding forum took one like mine and refurbed it. Removed the cutting deck etc. Takes his grandson to the shops on it! 

IMG_20210215_063313.jpg.1f2df8bf668d93dd8dceb5997f2a67b9.jpg

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Come on pictures.....

Haven't taken many yet, but this is the top side of the deck photographed for reference before I started taking too many bits off it.  It's had some sort of poor tarting-up paint job on areas previously, but seems solid enough.

20210212_172041.jpg