Cutting pockets for floor beams

phatboy

Hi,

I am a long way from beginning any build work on our extension (1 year), but trying to gradually get everything worked out in my head

I will need to install about 45 beams for the block and beam floor, with 1 end into the existing solid 9" blockwork (block on flat).  What's the best way to do this?  A 4" grinder won't get me anywhere deep enough, and a 9" grinder risks nearly creating a pair of cuts the full length of the building which cannot be satisfactory.  Do I just need to use a small grinder, and spend a lot of time with a big SDS drill getting the pockets cut in properly?

Unless the engineer specifies a sleeper wall, but that would come with its own issues!

Thanks!

If you can get enough ventilation use a 12" petrol disc cutter with hose attached to do the vertical cuts, then SDS to create the pocket.

If the foundation is a decent width you could just build some 4" blockwork which would be much simpler.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, phatboy said:

Hi,

I am a long way from beginning any build work on our extension (1 year), but trying to gradually get everything worked out in my head

I will need to install about 45 beams for the block and beam floor, with 1 end into the existing solid 9" blockwork (block on flat).  What's the best way to do this?  A 4" grinder won't get me anywhere deep enough, and a 9" grinder risks nearly creating a pair of cuts the full length of the building which cannot be satisfactory.  Do I just need to use a small grinder, and spend a lot of time with a big SDS drill getting the pockets cut in properly?

Unless the engineer specifies a sleeper wall, but that would come with its own issues!

Thanks!

sleeper wall  sounds quicker and simpler

imagine making all those holes then finding out they not quite right spacing  and then if holes big enough having to cement them all in 

30 mins a hole ? x 45 =22.5 hrs !!!-- could be more like an hour each one 

pretty sure you will build a sleeper wall quicker  or attach blocks with rawl bolts to exsisting wall to support each one   --would give much more tolerance to jiggle sideways to make them a tight fit on in fill bocks

maybe there are purpose made brackets for doing this?

Edited by scottishjohn

Thanks everyone!  @scottishjohn makes a good point about time spent, and i don't think I could handle 3 solid days of cutting the holes!

When we get to trial holes we will find out if there is enough space for an extra wall.  If not, then will need to re-assess!

Will see if the cutter @nod mentions is available locally, although I cannot find it on Smiths Hire site, as an option.....