Trickle vents

nod

Pet hate I can’t see the point in making a house airtight and having Dozens of these things all over the house I pointed this out to BC While he agreed he did say that I must include them We hate the look of them and they are not airtight when closed 

We visited a friend who has almost finished his third self build 

The last one being 20 years ago 

While this one hasn’t been signed off yet He hasn’t any trickle vent for the above reasons Or MVRH 

Has anyone else omitted trickle vents?

No trickle vents, air tight house and MVHR.  do you have something against mvhr?

Your friend might have issues with no trickle vents and no mvhr, BC might not sign that off.

My pet gripe is my three roof windows all have trickle vents that are never opened because of the ridiculous situation you have to pay a LOT MORE to get a roof window without a trickle vent.  I object to paying more for them to NOT fit something.

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No trickle vents, air tight house and MVHR.  do you have something against mvhr?

Your friend might have issues with no trickle vents and no mvhr, BC might not sign that off.

My pet gripe is my three roof windows all have trickle vents that are never opened because of the ridiculous situation you have to pay a LOT MORE to get a roof window without a trickle vent.  I object to paying more for them to NOT fit something.

Nothing against MVR 

Just thought it my might be a way around trickle vents 

Thought I’d just get in first 

Perhaps I should have stated Bo other means of ventilation 

I think the question is

Was my original BC incorrect in stating we must have trickle vent to ALL windows to comply with Building Regs 

Where in sat at the moment I’m looking at 16 trickle vents 

Excessive 

image.jpg

Edited by nod

11 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ll have to see if BC picks up that he’s no trickle vents 

A guy near here planned on no trickle vents and central extraction only and when BC saw his air test result said it was "too good" he either had to fit trickle vents or full mvhr.  He went for full mvhr.

You don't need trickle vents, that's just the default assumption. I don't have trickle vents as there's no way I'm putting them in expensive 3g windows especially when some vents would sit 3.6 meters above floor level. You can simply install natural background wall vents and/or alternatively passive stack. It's all in the building regs.

I got my acoustic cntrollable ones directly from Rytons - https://www.vents.co.uk/pdf/BROCH_Rytons_Background_Ventilators.pdf

And yes, I'm not into MVHR as after my research I decided against it.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SimonD said:

You don't need trickle vents, that's just the default assumption. I don't have trickle vents as there's no way I'm putting them in expensive 3g windows especially when some vents would sit 3.6 meters above floor level. You can simply install natural background wall vents and/or alternatively passive stack. It's all in the building regs.

I got my acoustic cntrollable ones directly from Rytons - https://www.vents.co.uk/pdf/BROCH_Rytons_Background_Ventilators.pdf

And yes, I'm not into MVHR as after my research I decided against it.

We were in a similar position 

Spent 20k (supply only) on sash windows and spoiled them with trickle vents 

We also researched MVR and decided against it 

My wife is pretty set against it for the next one So isn’t looking likely for that one either 

Thanks for your reply 

• Like 1

The regulations do not “insist” on trickle vents in windows, what it refers to is controllable background ventilation and talks about trickle vents as that’s the most common method.

If you have for example “night ventilation” within the window, which is common in European tilt and turn windows. You can argue your case.

You can also argue your case on how that background ventilation is occurring.

Reference Scottish Building Regulations

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-technical-handbook-2019-domestic/3-environment/3-14-ventilation/

Reference English Building Regulations Approved Document F

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468871/ADF_LOCKED.pdf

@Oz07 happens more often than you think. They are never checked, they are eye balled.

Edited by craig

12 minutes ago, craig said:

@Oz07 happens more often than you think. They are never checked, they are eye balled.

I have MVHR everywhere but the sun room / extension that was added later. Building Control picked up on it and said that I had to put trickle vents in 2 of the windows unless the windows had night ventilation (they didn't). I argued that the vents would be closed 24 x 7 and that there were 2 set of internal double doors into the room so there was a ton of ventilation already. Didn't matter I had to have them retrofitted. In the end I could have just stuck them on because they never came out to check - they just wanted a photo. I have never opened the trickle vents in 5 years. 

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Right at this point it the moment with Fakro....what a joke. For reference for others though, easy to block on Fakro apparently  but not possible on Velix I believe as vent is in the handle...thats what the sales guy told me anyways. ?

I am another who hates trickle vents. Expensive windows with sodding holes in. I found an artical several years ago stating that trickle vents were to ensure that gas, etc could escape from a house. I also demonstrated by way of a mates couple of pages of complicated Maths , how many times the air would be changed by people going in and out to work, the bins etc. The BC guy thought trickle vents were also rubbish, and looked crap. He was happy to accept all my justification for not fitting them, and signed me off.

• Like 1