Hello. Intumescent paint spraying question

Jtb

Evening all.  I'm in the process of building a detached garage block, masonry construction gf with a ff timber frame over.  There are two steels in the ceiling of the garage to support the floor above.  These need to be painted with intumescent paint and I've bought some Jotun Steelmaster 600wf which is a water-based paint but is crazy thick.  Ideally I'd like to spray this on rather than mini-roller it - but I have never sprayed paint before.  Can anyone recommend a sprayer setup that would work with high viscosity paint like this fire paiint?  I don't know if a simple electric Wagner paint sprayer will do, or if I need to buy an air compressor setup.  Appreciate any advice or experiences.  

Ditto ! We have bought aqua steel water based paint similar issue. Have also just bought a Wagner sprayer for rest of the house though we were hoping to use it with at least compatible decorative coat maybe to hide all our sins. When we spoke to Rawlins they said we were better off painting at least the base coat with a brush over ALL other options even for visible areas. If someone enlightens us before it’s too late in the next week that would be handy otherwise I will report back on our painting & sanding mess :). 

Hi Russell, thanks for that pointer, I didn't even know that spray plaster was a thing.  Anyway, from what I've now read, it seems that you need a piston pump airless sprayer for premix plaster, and that takes you into the realm of the pro machines like the Graco Mark V or the Wagner ProSpray, both of which seem to be v chunky money.  I'll see if I can rent first (or maybe I am stuck with a mini roller...).

Would still like to hear from anyone who's actually solved this first hand though.

This seems to be the general consensus, ours will be in front of some big kitchen patio doors & we did not have the foresight to powder coat them before they were in. Though I don’t really think any special finish will change our regret at listening to the architect to add them as in hindsight they will be an eyesore regardless. I think @Jtb will have a lucky escape with them in a garage! Nonetheless ours will be getting done by means of roller or brush in the next week (whichever works best at time) and then we will sand and spray over them with a non pro Wagner using compatible paint so you’ll have a reference point.

Thanks all.  The garage has ff accommodation over.  Steels have a downstand into the garage so cannot be boxed in.  I can do this with a roller (and in the end, I will probably have to) but I had hoped to be able to spray them, just to try something new.

• 2 months later...

@Jtb probably a bit late, but here is the spray finish after painting on and sanding the intumescent paint which was horrific to use. It’s just about acceptable with the spray on compatible decorative coat which we must of applied 5 times, thank god we went for white windows though!

2170CB4A-A258-4E53-8F95-BC6C70B6731A.jpeg

Edited by rh2205