Induction hobs etc.

Pocster

I have been to the Electrolux factory and have seen Electrolux / AEG and Zanussi products (these were fridges) rolling down the same production line with different tinted plastics going into each - you pay your money you take your choice....

On 12/02/2021 at 22:50, Faz said:

I have been to the Electrolux factory and have seen Electrolux / AEG and Zanussi products (these were fridges) rolling down the same production line with different tinted plastics going into each - you pay your money you take your choice....

But to imply they are made in the same factory so its the same thing is incorrect.

They share platforms and in some instances they are the same product but that doesnt mean all products coming off that line are the same. It may be that an AEG fridge has a quieter and more energy efficient compressor while the Zanussi is the base model compressor.

Gaggenau 200 series ovens are built on the Siemens platform. They are assembled in the same factory. Some components are shared. Many arent. Does that make a Gaggenau 200 series oven the same as the Siemens oven. NO.

7 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

But to imply they are made in the same factory so its the same thing is incorrect.

They share platforms and in some instances they are the same product but that doesnt mean all products coming off that line are the same. It may be that an AEG fridge has a quieter and more energy efficient compressor while the Zanussi is the base model compressor.

Gaggenau 200 series ovens are built on the Siemens platform. They are assembled in the same factory. Some components are shared. Many arent. Does that make a Gaggenau 200 series oven the same as the Siemens oven. NO.

+1 Also the aftercare and servicing may be different for different "brands" i.e. you pay a premium for a "better" brand/label. It goes beyond the nuts and bolts now.

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

+1 Also the aftercare and servicing may be different for different "brands" i.e. you pay a premium for a "better" brand/label. It goes beyond the nuts and bolts now.

TBH I have found the more premium the brand the more snobbish they are about their service. Actually the same bloke that fixes you basic bosch oven comes out to fix your £8k Gaggenau oven in the same van but his hourly rate is twice as much. Often you pay more for the same parts.

What is a justifiable premium for premium brands is a matter of personal opinion but what is certainly not true is that various brands from the same factory are identical or that a brand is better because its got a premium name tag on it. 

• 1 month later...

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

AH! (expletive deleted) it!. The last one so ordered it. See what happens! Half the price!. 

I bought a Novy 1778 induction hob via Amazon, had it in basket for ages, the price kept going up and down. Managed to get the last one, were two for a while.

Hasn't been in stock since, almost half price. seemed to have been sent from France.

Also there were several 3rd party sellers offering at a lower price but with email first request.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Yep . Notice now the Amazon receipt says excluding vat .

So will get stung on that but can claim it back .

It’s been dispatched. So will wait for the “ pay the vat” before you have it message . Cheapest in U.K. I could find was £2100 inc vat .

This one ( exactly the same model according to the blurb ) will work out inc delivery ( £116! ) and vat at around £1300

Of course I can get the vat back . Or some of it as it’s a hob and extractor so I’ll assume I’ll get 50% of the vat back 

Edited by pocster

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

It’s been dispatched. So will wait for the “ pay the vat” before you have it message . Cheapest in U.K. I could find was £2100 inc vat .

This one ( exactly the same model according to the blurb ) will work out inc delivery ( £116! ) and vat at around £1300

Of course I can get the vat back . Or some of it as it’s a hob and extractor so I’ll assume I’ll get 50% of the vat back 

When I spoke to HMRC about this they said I cannot claim the vat back on induction hobs with built in extraction. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

When I spoke to HMRC about this they said I cannot claim the vat back on induction hobs with built in extraction. 

I thought you couldn’t on hobs but could on extractors ...  Therefore I shall argue the toss at the time !

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I thought you couldn’t on hobs but could on extractors ...  Therefore I shall argue the toss at the time !

You can’t if the hob has an integrated extractor but I would just put the invoice in anyway and note it on your claim form as an extractor.

The guidance hasn’t been updated yet but there is a chance that you won’t be allowed to reclaim VAT paid directly to HMRC in the UK now that we are no longer in the EU as that amount is not on the invoice. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

You can’t if the hob has an integrated extractor but I would just put the invoice in anyway and note it on your claim form as an extractor.

The guidance hasn’t been updated yet but there is a chance that you won’t be allowed to reclaim VAT paid directly to HMRC in the UK now that we are no longer in the EU as that amount is not on the invoice. 

Yeah I will Chuck it in anyway with presumably the seperate vat invoice .

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I will Chuck it in anyway with presumably the seperate vat invoice .

I think they won’t pay these as the VAT has to be present on the invoice but I guess we will see in due course. 

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Photoshop is my friend ??

Maybe no need. I just read something about reclaiming VAT for goods imported from non EU countries and it said that proof of VAT paid and shipping documents are required so I guess now that we’ve left that will be the process for all countries. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pocster said:

I tried to argue but computer says NO!!

• Like 1