Oops, I've messed up my floor level! How to fix?

SimonD

I'll try to make my excuse as simple as possible, I started my build with work to an existing small extension and newbuild infill extension to the house. When I did this, we were still living in the other part of the house. So I did all this prep work and installed new floor joists for ground suspend timber floor. Now that I've finally got the new floor joist into the rest of the house I've realised a problem. I've just found that my reference dpc for the first bit of the floor is actually about 20mm lower than the dpc for the main house (these are all part of existing structure built in 1920s).

I know I should have known better that to trust the dpc level of this old house, but too late now.

So to the question. What's the easiest way to raise the floor level? the area for lifting is about 24sqm whereas the rest of the house which is slightly higher and the other side of what used to be an external wall is about 75sqm.

My thoughts: given that the joists are not fully fixed and there is not subfloor I can either:

1. remove the masonry bolts and lift the wall plates and then use slate packers at any sleeper walls.

2. insert packers under individual joists in joist hangers and on sleeper walls.

Thoughts? and any other options?

Edited by SimonD

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

I'll try to make my excuse as simple as possible, I started my build with work to an existing small extension and newbuild infill extension to the house. When I did this, we were still living in the other part of the house. So I did all this prep work and installed new floor joists for ground suspend timber floor. Now that I've finally got the new floor joist into the rest of the house I've realised a problem. I've just found that my reference dpc for the first bit of the floor is actually about 20mm lower than the dpc for the main house (these are all part of existing structure built in 1920s).

I know I should have known better that to trust the dpc level of this old house, but too late now.

So to the question. What's the easiest way to raise the floor level? the area for lifting is about 24sqm whereas the rest of the house which is slightly higher and the other side of what used to be an external wall is about 75sqm.

My thoughts: given that the joists are not fully fixed and there is not subfloor I can either:

1. remove the masonry bolts and lift the wall plates and then use slate packers at any sleeper walls.

2. insert packers under individual joists in joist hangers and on sleeper walls.

Thoughts? and any other options?

What are the floor junctions between the two halves of the house and what are the proposed floor coverings? 

20mm is very little. You could loose that in a door saddle and nobody would notice. 

Otherwise what @MikeGrahamT21said. 

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

What are the floor junctions between the two halves of the house and what are the proposed floor coverings? 

20mm is very little. You could loose that in a door saddle and nobody would notice. 

Otherwise what @MikeGrahamT21said. 

The only junction is a single doorway between the two areas. Subfloor will be osb with solid wooden floor above to finish.

I was initially hoping I could disappear it..until my wife noticed and asked me about it to confirm we were having no elevation changes in the floor anywhere ?

Yes, I will take @MikeGrahamT21 's suggestion on that one.

• Like 1