curb hight of new garage

howie

Hi Guys, im going to be a regular here as ive started to renovate a bungalow following my divorce where she got the lot!

Anyway, ive had planning concent granted for a side extention and a 6 metre square concrete block garage and new driveway/entrance.
the bungalow is on a steep cul de sac, there is a dead end road that runs at the side of the house making it a corner plot, it only runs the depth of my plot as the builders were hoping to build a second stage into the fields behind me but as its a school playing field it never happened so its kind of a private road for me. the garage will go in the corner between the rear boundry and the road.
My garden is 3 feet lower than the roadside and the architect put the plans in to show the hight of the garage at 4008mm, but.....as i understand it (?) all measurments are related to the road hight so does that mean that i can add the 3 feet onto the hight of the build where it will still be 4008mm from road hight or do i have to stick to the 4008mm hight making it very low at curb hight and the little darlings from the school could climb on the roof with ease?
Also, with it being 36 square metres what do i need to do regarding building regs? i intend one 5M wide roller shutter door and two purlins rather than A frames so i can have a 2 post ramp and raise right up into the loft caverty, hence the desire for as much hight as possible.

Ive posted this on another site and had well over 100 views and not one reply.............can this site do better?

thanks.

Heights are normally "as specified on the drawing". 

Height limits for permitted development on sloping ground are normally from the highest point immediately adjacent to the building. That would be the level of your garden as you dont mention having to dig into the raised ground to make a level space for it.

Its not clear why you needed planning permission for the garage but I suspect an even lower height limit of 2.4m might apply if you used permitted  development rights to build rather than your planning permission. eg if its within 2m of the boundary there is a 2.4m height limit. If more than 2m it can be higher.

32 minutes ago, Temp said:

Heights are normally "as specified on the drawing". 

Height limits for permitted development on sloping ground are normally from the highest point immediately adjacent to the building. That would be the level of your garden as you dont mention having to dig into the raised ground to make a level space for it.

Its not clear why you needed planning permission for the garage but I suspect an even lower height limit of 2.4m might apply if you used permitted  development rights to build rather than your planning permission. eg if its within 2m of the boundary there is a 2.4m height limit. If more than 2m it can be higher.

the garage will be built on the existing hard standing which goes from road height dropping a steep 3 feet over 26 feet to the existing garage, planning concent was needed, and granted as i will be building upto the boundery with a highway.......so as that is the highest point, and its a garage so needs road access....does that mean i can build it to a curb height of 4.08m even though the door wont be on the curb side?

Edited by howie
mistakes

I built my garage on a slope, the garage is shown as 2.3m to eaves, but at the back it is probably about 3.3m due to the slope. I knew this would be the case and said to the planning officer when she was out, that although it is shown as 2.3 you can see that it will be taller at the back, she just said just build it as 2.3 to the front door and the other sizes will be what they will be.

I also told her that my extension heights would alter as I was going to change the ground levels with landscaping, she didn't seem to care. 

19 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I built my garage on a slope, the garage is shown as 2.3m to eaves, but at the back it is probably about 3.3m due to the slope. I knew this would be the case and said to the planning officer when she was out, that although it is shown as 2.3 you can see that it will be taller at the back, she just said just build it as 2.3 to the front door and the other sizes will be what they will be.

I also told her that my extension heights would alter as I was going to change the ground levels with landscaping, she didn't seem to care. 

thats kind of what im getting at..........if it was a house extention the road height wouldnt be relevant, but as its a garage its very relevant.........if i build to the plans it will be 4.08m at curb height, but around 5m at the other side,.......so if i build at garden height can i still get away with the 4.08 at curb height even tho the door wont exit into the road.....if you see what i mean?!?......basiclly im trying to get an extra 3ft of hight in the garage but from curb side youd never know, it would look loke the plans show, 4.08m........?

1 hour ago, howie said:

the garage will be built on the existing hard standing which goes from road height dropping a steep 3 feet over 26 feet to the existing garage, planning concent was needed, and granted as i will be building upto the boundery with a highway.......so as that is the highest point, and its a garage so needs road access....does that mean i can build it to a curb height of 4.08m even though the door wont be on the curb side?

No. I would interpret your planning drawings as showing the garage sitting at/on the current ground level of the garden with the ridge 4.08m above that level. You could apply to raise the roof height but the dimensions you have appear reasonably standard and in proportion.

You could also apply to raise the whole garage and driveway to avoid a sloping driveway. However that wont be simple or cheap to build. 

Not sure why you are worrying about kids getting on the roof as the plans show a 2m high fence which can be on your boundary - which presumably is at road level?

Looking at the site you may need to relocate the lamp post which will not be cheap.  I am not sure why you have chosen to approach from there.

I would think that if the base of the garage is the same level as your current hardstanding at the junction with the crossover it would be fine regarding levels.  You may want to clarify with the planners in writing if you are concerned.

On your elevation drawings it would have been better to represent the actual ground levels instead of / as well as a horizontal line.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

No. I would interpret your planning drawings as showing the garage sitting at/on the current ground level of the garden with the ridge 4.08m above that level. You could apply to raise the roof height but the dimensions you have appear reasonably standard and in proportion.

You could also apply to raise the whole garage and driveway to avoid a sloping driveway. However that wont be simple or cheap to build. 

Not sure why you are worrying about kids getting on the roof as the plans show a 2m high fence which can be on your boundary - which presumably is at road level?

thats not that straight forward tho......the hard standing as is is above the ground level as is the existing garage which will be removed, i asume this is due to the flooding that happens when it rains hard so everything existing isnt a true representation.

if i raised the garage to curb hight id have a 3ft tall driveway wall running across the garden......that just a no no.....ive spoken the the council planning thisafternoon and he seams to think as its a garage, on the boundry with the highway that a curb hight of 4.08m is ok but has asked the inspector to call me next week, shes very easy to get along with so im hoping common sense will kick in and ill get a usable garage, it doesnt affect anyone in any way...

• Like 1