entry phone/doorbell down a 200yrd track

Tom

Hi all, so we're actually (finally) moving on to site in to our static caravan next week. The mechanics of actually living there are beginning to become more pressing issues now, not least the fact that our site is approx 200yards down a farm track which in wet weather is quite slippery. I'd like to install a video doorbell thing at the end of the track - what options do I have? It seems all the Ring-type things need wifi connection which isn't there. 4G signal is reasonable but I can't find a similar set-up that will work with this. There are security cameras that will work over 4G (https://reolink.com/gb/product/reolink-go/?attribute_pa_version=1-pack-white&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIiZr9nh7gIVE5ftCh3_WwyaEAYYASABEgITd_D_BwE) but we ideally need something that we can talk through like a RIng so we can direct delivery drivers etc. I could potentially put a data cable along the track - would that work along 200 yards+?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

A 100mm duct 

with power for a light at the gate, or even electric gate, and local power for the lock mechanism

and then pull whatever is needed for comms to the intercom, may be cat5/6.

alarm cable is handy as each core can handle 1amp. 8 core cable with conductors quadrupled up to allow for volt drop and its cheap as chips.

seriously duct with a smaller chamber at either end  for pulling in cables etc will be worth it

• Like 1

We have 125m of drive, we have a few things in place. 

Big sighn on gate with phone numbers on it as well as clear instructions what to do with parcels, we have a big waterproof box by the gate for parcels. 

Due to Covid I have found that no drivers are bothered about signatures anymore, I have also found that once you meet the local delivery guys they will just drop parcels and be on their way. 

Bigger deliveries they just read the sighn and come up the drive 

A friend who does automatic gates also like to have a power socket near the gate.  It can prove really useful for future maintenance etc.

At his house he uses his garage for deliveries and when he is out the intercom rings through to his mobile and he can let them into a lobby / parcel area.

Google "4g doorbell" without quotes. There are some but how good they are i don't know. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000094976724.html?spm=a2g0o.search0302.0.0.17e7376ehiLWdW&algo_pvid=a5146855-dbee-4444-a051-51732769d23a&algo_expid=a5146855-dbee-4444-a051-51732769d23a-2&btsid=0b0a187916130640592934493eb938&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edit: That one mentioned 4g but it appears to be wifi or wire only!

Edited by Temp

Thanks all.

Looks like that one on aliexpress you link to Temp needs a wired connection to a router, then you can connect to that via a 4g phone...

So, might go for the lo-fi option to start with a la Russel Griffiths: clear signage, while I sort something out with ducting for a wired/powered solution.

If I was to put in a 100mm duct how deep should this be laid? Does it come with something running through it to allow you to pull wires through?

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks all.

Looks like that one on aliexpress you link to Temp needs a wired connection to a router, then you can connect to that via a 4g phone...

So, might go for the lo-fi option to start with a la Russel Griffiths: clear signage, while I sort something out with ducting for a wired/powered solution.

If I was to put in a 100mm duct how deep should this be laid? Does it come with something running through it to allow you to pull wires through?

Duct normally comes with a thin string that is used to pull a thicker draw rope through. Toolstation/screwfix sell suitable polypropylene rope.

16 minutes ago, Temp said:

Duct normally comes with a thin string that is used to pull a thicker draw rope through.

You could just use the string to ring a bell near the house - might need a hefty yank to take up the slack!

Simon

• Haha 1