Cheap Submersible pump recommendations?

daiking

I bought a cheap "dirty water pump" from Screwfix for pumping the water out of my foundation trenches.  By the time it had finished doing that it was not pumping very well at all, and a quick look revealed the plastic impeller had just about disintegrated, unable to cope with pumping a few stones.

A quick phone call to SF they refunded and did not want the old one back as it was "dirty water"

So if you want it for short term use and don't care how long it lasts do the same.  If you want it to last, make sure you get one with a metal impeller.

I refurbished mine with parts of another pump with a failed motor that I was able to recover the impeller from,

• Thanks 1

It’s for clean water, just wondering if there was a preference for a particular brand. 

last thing I bought there was a huge difference in quality at the same price point. And the “better quality” item was the one that didn’t work! 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I bought a cheap "dirty water pump" from Screwfix for pumping the water out of my foundation trenches.  By the time it had finished doing that it was not pumping very well at all, and a quick look revealed the plastic impeller had just about disintegrated, unable to cope with pumping a few stones.

A quick phone call to SF they refunded and did not want the old one back as it was "dirty water"

So if you want it for short term use and don't care how long it lasts do the same.  If you want it to last, make sure you get one with a metal impeller.

I refurbished mine with parts of another pump with a failed motor that I was able to recover the impeller from,

I bought a Titan one from SF and was working fine. but now it won't pump with a hose attached. it pumps if I hold it and don't attach a hose to the outlet pipe but when I attach the hose no water is pumped. would that be a broken pump or could it be a blockage in the hose?

tempted to phone SF up and get a replacement.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

it pumps if I hold it

It's just lonely :)

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

when I attach the hose no water is pumped

stick another bit of hose on ;)

Edit: blame it on zoot, I'm losing the will to live.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I bought a Titan one from SF and was working fine. but now it won't pump with a hose attached. it pumps if I hold it and don't attach a hose to the outlet pipe but when I attach the hose no water is pumped. would that be a broken pump or could it be a blockage in the hose?

tempted to phone SF up and get a replacement.

I had one of those and it was a PITA. It refused to self prime even under water. Seemed to get an air pocket in the pump that stopped it from working. I found I had to lie on my stomach to reach down into floaded foundation trenches, put it on its side while running and jiggle it around. Eventually it would pump. Then it just burned itself out one time. I also bought a couple from amazon which were just as rubbish so sent straigh back.

I found that some of these pumps require a very high water level to prime and start pumping so it's worth looking at the specs for this. For shallower water, I bought a heavy duty dirty water drill pump,and rigged up an old drill to a piece of plywood with the pump screwed to it. Then I attached an inlet tube from an old pressure washer that had a filter on the end which I stuck into the water. It doesn't pump the same volume rate but does remove water to a lower level.

All good grist for the mill. 

I need something to empty a hot tub so I hope the water is not lumpy and there should be plenty of head to prime it.

Going with the cheap Draper model from the Station of Tools.

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

I had one of those and it was a PITA. It refused to self prime even under water. Seemed to get an air pocket in the pump that stopped it from working. I found I had to lie on my stomach to reach down into floaded foundation trenches, put it on its side while running and jiggle it around. Eventually it would pump. Then it just burned itself out one time. I also bought a couple from amazon which were just as rubbish so sent straigh back.

I found that some of these pumps require a very high water level to prime and start pumping so it's worth looking at the specs for this. For shallower water, I bought a heavy duty dirty water drill pump,and rigged up an old drill to a piece of plywood with the pump screwed to it. Then I attached an inlet tube from an old pressure washer that had a filter on the end which I stuck into the water. It doesn't pump the same volume rate but does remove water to a lower level.

I don't think it's the depth of water as I'm trying to empty a swimming pool and the pump was in the deep end! I'll try the lying on it's side thing and then I'll just get a replacement from SF I think.