Filling 32mm above steel to a block

Moonshine

In my proposed build i have a steel (203 x 102 UB)  built into a blockwork wall on a pad stone, this supports a cavity masonry wall

The steel rests straight onto the padstone, and leaves a 32mm gap above when the blocks tie in, as below.

The question is, what is the 32mm filled with, i would have thought a 32mm mortar bed would be too thick, and the gap is too small for a slip.

image.thumb.png.e9ab5af9003cf28fb43745aab90341f4.png

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will give you the correct answer, but just a couple of things in the mix. what about a larger pad stone, make it insitu? then steel will be correct height, or cut a small bit off the first course of blocks and run a course of engineering bricks.

Regards  James

• Like 1

Are you having any fabricated steel in other parts of the build?  If so, you could have a piece of plate (20mm?) welded to the underside of the steel beam at the bearing points to raise it up to match the block height.

In your drawing you show no mortar under the blocks to the steel, wouldn't they normally be on a mortar bed?, this will take 10mm.

2 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Are you having any fabricated steel in other parts of the build?  If so, you could have a piece of plate (20mm?) welded to the underside of the steel beam at the bearing points to raise it up to match the block height.

In your drawing you show no mortar under the blocks to the steel, wouldn't they normally be on a mortar bed?, this will take 10mm.

I think I like this solution the best, not sure it needs to be welded, but the use of different thicknesses of steel shims ti make the 20mm, at both bearing points to ensure the beam is level.

I wouldnt worry about it. Your block layers will address it. as suggested above, a course of bricks and a cut block course on the beam would bring things back into line with the adjacent blockwork. Things might change as built so I wouldnt try too hard to plan mm perfect details at this stage. Brickies will be used to bringing things back up to course height with beams and lintels.