Combi Boiler Replacement @ £2300??

Angel1403

Got a quote of £2300 to have our existing Combi boiler replaced with a Glowworm Ultimate 3 35kw boiler. Fitter will also fit a magnetic filter and chemically flush the system and clean out the filter in between flushing out the cleaner and adding the inhibitor.

Given that the boiler costs around £890 all in, with a 10 year warranty, magnetic filter, around £150, I am thinking that approx £1310 for his labour is pretty steep? I’m assuming it’s a 7 hours day work at the most?

I would have thought even £50 an hour was generous, never mind £150+ ?

Thanks for the replies.....lol re hang it out for 2 days......I won’t be using him, that’s for sure....Doctors don’t get £180 an hour, never mind a heating engineer lol.

3 hours sounds about right.....even 5 hours is fine, but no way 5 hours work for £1300.

It will be interesting to see my other quotes......I also had some quotes for having our bathroom refurbished....remove bath, fit shower cubicle, fit shower , fit new whb and toilet. Line walls with aqua panels, chrome radiator, extract fan, water proof laminate floor. It’s a 7ft x 5 ft bathroom.

one quote was £4200 all in

one was £4200 labour only lol ? 

one was £7500 all in lol lol lol....must be 2 weeks work ? 

Where are you based? That will have an impact. Don't forget the flue is required. 

Plus the van, tools, insurance, experience .etc 

I just had my mums done by my best mate. It was 1450 fitted, for a 28kw Alpha ETEC including flue ( 2 actually as I messed one uo cutting it) and filter. That's was mates rates though would normally be £1800-2k, full days work.

• Like 2

A couple years ago we were having to change boiler. Got quite a few quotes (8 in total) for Worcester i30 combo boiler with the usual flush, Magna Clean, inhibitor, etc. and it was all between £2k-£3k in semi detached, all easy access. So guess £2.3k is about right.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 01:11, SuperJohnG said:

Where are you based? That will have an impact. Don't forget the flue is required. 

Plus the van, tools, insurance, experience .etc 

I just had my mums done by my best mate. It was 1450 fitted, for a 28kw Alpha ETEC including flue ( 2 actually as I messed one uo cutting it) and filter. That's was mates rates though would normally be £1800-2k, full days work.

Thanks for the reply, wow £2k fora days work, less boiler cost say £800 etc, is serious money...£10k a week turnover ? That would be nice lol

I guess some just decide to charge premium rates, do less work per week but make similar money. 

I had a new double glazed window fitted in the bathroom....white upvc, casement opening. Some big company quotes were £800.....Local based windo company fitted it for £400 all in, inc vat. They obviously made a profit on the £400 cost, but not so much as the company’s that wanted to charge £800;for the same item ?

thanks everyone force feedback ?