Nailed plasterboard. Is this normal?

TheMitchells

I am planning to paint the hall, stairs and landing (okay - not me, a proper painter) and am thinking of repairing the plasterwork beforehand.  There are lines where the plasterboards are joined as well as numourous blown screw heads.  However, when i started to remove the blown heads, i discovered they are nails, not screws!  Has anyone come across this before?  The house was built by Americans about 30 years ago then sold by the MOD 23 years ago when I bought it.  I have put up with the bad plaster but would like to sort them out and plan to have a go at the plastering.

Should I knock in the nails and add screws before attempting the plastering?  I'd rather not have to remove them all and the plasterboard does seem solid. 

Whenever I have repaired blown nail bumps in plasterboard I put a plasterboard screw in either side of the nail, about 40 mm away from it, then knock of the blown plaster and give the nail a wee hit with a nail punch and hammer to reset it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roys said:

Whenever I have repaired blown nail bumps in plasterboard I put a plasterboard screw in either side of the nail, about 40 mm away from it, then knock of the blown plaster and give the nail a wee hit with a nail punch and hammer to reset it.

Have done as you suggest.  Am now looking to re-plaster.  Do i need anything on top of the nail head before I start?  PVA glue or something to help it stick? And does thefact that it is a painted wall change anything about applying plaster? 

20210211_080443.thumb.jpg.262ee55dd7da876a254ba9f32b07e602.jpg

This is another line of plasterboard tape that has moved.  I am trying to repair the small one first to see if i can make a reasonable job of it before tackling the longer two lines right across the stairs walls. The small one is on the landing so easy to access.  this one will involve ladders!

20210211_080805.thumb.jpg.5613a8148ca6e9cf34635fdc63ba3219.jpg

2 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

Have done as you suggest.  Am now looking to re-plaster.  Do i need anything on top of the nail head before I start?  PVA glue or something to help it stick? And does thefact that it is a painted wall change anything about applying plaster? 

20210211_080443.thumb.jpg.262ee55dd7da876a254ba9f32b07e602.jpg

Re PVA, if I have some on the go I would put a little on, I have done it with and without and i haven’t have issues with either, I tend to fill with One Strike now for small defects caused by nail and screw holes.

Sorry I can’t answer your paint questions with any confidence as I am a spark.?

Looks like you have gone a bit more the 40mm either side of the nail, it might be a trick of the camera but are you sure that is 40mm or have you gone 40cm? Not that it’s a big deal.

Edited by Roys
More info

3 hours ago, Roys said:

Re PVA, if I have some on the go I would put a little on, I have done it with and without and i haven’t have issues with either, I tend to fill with One Strike now for small defects caused by nail and screw holes.

Sorry I can’t answer your paint questions with any confidence as I am a spark.?

Looks like you have gone a bit more the 40mm either side of the nail, it might be a trick of the camera but are you sure that is 40mm or have you gone 40cm? Not that it’s a big deal.

yes, hubby added the screws and he went in between the two of them so its more like 5-6cm.  the boards do seem secure so hoping that adding screws between the nails will prevent any movement. Will tell him to go either side on any more that we do.  as there are loads to do all over the upstairs, we may just live with them and i'll concentrate of the joint lines.  after all, we've put up with them for 25 years so it obviously isn't too much of a problem.  ?