Boundary Fencing Options...

We are looking at fencing options to divide our 1 acre plot in preparation for our build.

It's around 80m in length, needs to make a 90° turn and will be fully landscaped from both sides, so it doesn't really need to be as substantial as concrete posts/panels. We do want it to be strong though, dog/deer proof and reasonably cost-effective (not necessarily 'cheap'). I'm thinking PVC coated chainlink with timber posts, or some sort of post/rail, paddock fence/mesh combo. Probably needs to be 4ft, possibly even 5ft tall to keep the deer at bay, but not make us feel too closed in.

Any suggestions good people of Buildhub?

12 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

We are looking at fencing options to divide our 1 acre plot in preparation for our build.

It's around 80m in length, needs to make a 90° turn and will be fully landscaped from both sides, so it doesn't really need to be as substantial as concrete posts/panels. We do want it to be strong though, dog/deer proof and reasonably cost-effective (not necessarily 'cheap'). I'm thinking PVC coated chainlink with timber posts, or some sort of post/rail, paddock fence/mesh combo. Probably needs to be 4ft, possibly even 5ft tall to keep the deer at bay, but not make us feel too closed in.

Any suggestions good people of Buildhub?

We used metal security fencing 

and planted 300 mil laurels 

Soon covers 

image.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

Don't suppose you have any pics of the fence before the laurels?

Also, any idea of cost or supplier?

The panels are 3mtr 

I just used one of the online suppliers 

They did quite a good deal for 50 panels 

1D085AC8-2DD6-428F-B6A9-D1D920B239CB.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Mulberry View said:

What would be your suggestion? Other than the obvious (concrete).

1.2m concrete and wire mesh buried in a hedge works very well - should give 40-50 years.

For long term fences I use concrete and closeboard, or wooden posts bolted to fence repair spurs.

One way would be knocker posts and wire then a field-type stockproof hedge.

You can get metal or plastic.

Deer fencing is normally 1.8 or 2m, but  is this one we discussed before that is on a biiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggg slope?

Post and rail fence is a nice option, tis what we did 20 years ago, stand the posts in oil, creosote or a mixture for a couple of weeks will help them immensely in the long run, then square 4 inch wire mesh run along the fence from ground level to about 4ft high to keep out dogs.

Eventually I planted laurels, loads of them over the space of a few years, purchased them in the winter as bare root in bundles of 50 or so, then heeled them into my veg patch then planted them at my leisure.  Beware though, Laurels grow big if you let them, Mine are now at about 2.5 to 3m, which keeps out prying eyes.  Means I can have more man toys to keep it in good order though, and its a twice a year job at that.

Not sure what's worse though, painting fences, or hedgetrimming!

• Thanks 1

Just now, crispy_wafer said:

Post and rail fence is a nice option, tis what we did 20 years ago, stand the posts in oil, creosote or a mixture for a couple of weeks will help them immensely in the long run, then square 4 inch wire mesh run along the fence from ground level to about 4ft high to keep out dogs.

Eventually I planted laurels, loads of them over the space of a few years, purchased them in the winter as bare root in bundles of 50 or so, then heeled them into my veg patch then planted them at my leisure.  Beware though, Laurels grow big if you let them, Mine are now at about 2.5 to 3m, which keeps out prying eyes.  Means I can have more man toys to keep it in good order though, and its a twice a year job at that.

This is what I think we'll do. Sounds like the best option.

The boundary already has established plants along it and just needs filling in. We'll probably go to 5ft if we can, to make it more of a challenge for the Deer who tear our garden up.

I guess it's just whether we use Timber posts straight in the ground as you described or concrete repair spurs with Timber posts attached.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

At least hedges don’t blow over or rot.

10 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

I guess it's just whether we use Timber posts straight in the ground as you described or concrete repair spurs with Timber posts attached.

Timber posts on the ground WILL rot eventually (10 years?), I would go concrete spurs with timber bolted to them every time.

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

At least hedges don’t blow over or rot.

Timber posts on the ground WILL rot eventually (10 years?), I would go concrete spurs with timber bolted to them every time.

I am erring towards this. From a practical standpoint, this fence will serve 3 main purposes, boundary demarcation,  temporary separation while the landscaping becomes established and to keep the Deer at bay. Carefully thought out landscaping will increasingly hold the Deer back, so the fence becomes less important over time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

temporary separation while the landscaping becomes established

I did this at a previous house, wooden posts with chainlink fencing. Planted bushes /trees next to it and they grew through the chainlink eventually holding it up (so the dog next door could not get through ?

• Like 1