Second fix shower.

Russdl

On 14/01/2018 at 19:42, Nickfromwales said:

@Onoff

I've never had one with a backnut. Tbh, it's rare to get rear access so you'd never get to fit one anyway. 

The one you've got fits as follows. :

1) you measure the diameter of the fitting, the chrome bit after the brass thread.

2) you get that size tile hole saw and make a hole 2-3mm bigger. 

3) you fit an outside tap backplate into the wall at about 1/4" shy of finished tile face. 

4) you tile and grout after blanking the outlet and pressure testing. 

5) turn the fitting into the outlet until its tight. At this stage it'll likely have bottomed out without the chrome going past the tile face. 

6) measure what you need for the chrome bit to finish 3-4mm into the tile. 

7) cut that much off the brass thread. 

? you put 22-26 turns of ptfe onto the last 25mm of thread ( so 50 turns or so in total to get the thread covered ) 

9) turn the outlet into the backplate until it's pointing down and just shy of proud of the tile face ( slightly recessed )

10) do not go so far that you have to back turn anti clockwise 

11) clear ct1 the tile hole tobthe brass thread by pumping it full.  

12 ) push the cover ring down the outlet until it rests on the tile. It's NOT there as a waterproof seal, and the rubber o-ring is only a friction ring to keep it parked. The ct1 forms the watertight element.   

Clear as mud ?

Can you believe I'm actually ready to do this? :)

Cut the brass down and made a lovely job:

20190121_213840

It fits in a treat. Just happened to have saved an offcut of 14mm Allen key years back:

20190121_213909

Now to fit this:

20190121_213929

It fits in just below the tile surface as per instruction:

20190121_214034

The intent is to ditch the rubber washer it came with and PTFE both ends of the brass:

20190121_213939

So do I put 22-25 turns of PTFE BOTH ends of the thread, screw in with the Allen key then wind in the chrome bit until plumb and make sure I don't turn it back? Then pump full of CT1, push chrome ring against the tile and baby wipe off?

On 21/01/2019 at 22:26, Onoff said:

Can you believe I'm actually ready to do this? :)

Cut the brass down and made a lovely job:

It fits in a treat. Just happened to have saved an offcut of 14mm Allen key years back:

Now to fit this:

It fits in just below the tile surface as per instruction:

The intent is to ditch the rubber washer it came with and PTFE both ends of the brass:

So do I put 22-25 turns of PTFE BOTH ends of the thread, screw in with the Allen key then wind in the chrome bit until plumb and make sure I don't turn it back? Then pump full of CT1, push chrome ring against the tile and baby wipe off?

• Thanks 1

Another question if I may. 

One of these brass things that goes from the boss to the shower thingy is missing and I’m buggered if I can find it by Googling. Can anyone tell me what is it called so I can narrow down my search?

05FC4CFF-330D-4999-AEC5-1A80D466D96E.jpeg

Do you need the internal hex?

If not a 'running nipple'  is basically threaded tube, upto around 4" long, which you could cut down if needed

I'm assuming that is 1/2" BSP thread like a backplate fitting (on the wall) would take?

• Thanks 1

A picture of the bits I started with:

20180408_195341

As it was going to be hidden in the wall "forever" I changed the bib tap connector to a solder type. Ditched the random m/f bit too between nipple and bib in the above pic.

My proudest moment: 

IMG_20180531_213839991.thumb.jpg.11e31655c30c12231364c59b8e7aa34a

20180421_123520

Would this get you out of trouble (no hex mind). A local plumbers merchant might stock the hex type:

https://www.toolstation.com/brass-shower-arm-connector/p91988

Don't know if the brass bit in this would have a hex?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-union-elbow-chrome-75mm/903fh

• Thanks 1

Just now, Russdl said:

@Onoff that Toolstation bit would work out just fine I reckon. I can live without the hex end (I'm surprised that they don't appear to be easily obtainable) and just use a couple of nuts.

I think I might have "glued" my brass nipple into the boss with liquid PTFE? I'm off to read my thread...I may be some time...

6 minutes ago, Russdl said:

???

I'm using that liquid thread sealer from Screwfix. Seems to be working. 

Reading back it looks like I put 20 odd turns of tape both ends of the nipple then wound it in with the hex key. The hex allows you the "grunt" to wind it in. I'd say without the hex then liquid will be better. Will you aim to wind the brass in using two nuts on the end until it bottoms out?

You have the nuts?

Edited by Onoff

If the chrome arm will stand a lot of thread inside it, I'd be tempted to cut a 3mm or so wide slit across the end face about 4-5mm deep so you can wind it in with the side of an angle grinder spanner.

Your double nut idea will do the same, if you haven't got a spare nut, for 1/2"BSP the nuts of most 15mm compression joints will go on the end.

• Thanks 1

A bit of an update. I did as briefed, filled the holes around the boss with CT1 and used the pipe thread sealing goo from Screwfix.

The good news is that if there are any leaks then they will appear on the outside face of my tiles and not behind the tiles. The bad news is that I know that for certain because the pipe thread sealer is bright green, and relatively runny. When I checked back on my handiwork this morning there was a great big green dribble from behind the the shower arm down the bright white grout between the tiles.

I don't think I used too much, just followed the instructions of a continuous bead around the thread but the evidence would suggest there was definitely more than required. Fortunately it has almost completely cleaned up with some big old wet wipes.