Woe is me

Evening all,

Feeling exhausted and fed up, this tricky (it isn't really that tricky just red tape) build seems to sour all professional relationships, my main contractor keeps getting stuff wrong and has questionable workman ship. I can't get excited about my build anyone I want it done and after the CIL period is done I'll look at selling and moving on. It has been such a pain in the bum and I haven't even really got what I wanted. Really annoying after all the money and hours I've put in and it has been so so so many hours.

Think I'm going to cry in the corner for a few days. 

Edited by Water
  • Sad 2

When you fall of your horse in the depths of self build Hell you just have to dig deep, refocus and get back on top of things.... I am trying to do that right now after realising nobody was listening to my snivelings,  Best of luck and as as big Jimbo says life is to short to be wallowing around In a bad place  for to long. 

• Thanks 1

Awful to read this. Wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but we're now contemplating our project so not as far ahead as you. Should we abort mission?!

Seriously though, as others have said, you need to find a way to turn this around. The time of year and pandemic can't be helping either.

Is it just the contractor and his work that's getting to you? If so, can't you address that somehow? Shame if its one entity that's ruining it for you.

• Thanks 1

Keep your chin up.  I think just about everyone has a wobble of some sort part way through a self build when not everything goes to plan.

Take a break, then go back to it with a fresh mind.  Plenty have come up against serious problems and beaten them.  You will too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds fairly normal to me. I had several phases of hating my house and thinking about selling before finishing.. you’ll forget most of the crap stuff before too long and will fall back in love with it. 

I expect most on here have been in very similar positions mentally during their builds... several in that place right now too. 

Probably won’t make you feel any better, but at least you know there is better to come. :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I really appreciate it.  It's been such a rollercoaster, one minute you are very happy and super excited the next minute there are major issues. 

I think I'll be ok once it's done but boy is it hard work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A house is just a collection of faults and errors under one roof. The difference between self build and buying off the peg is that you know what the faults are before moving in.

Getting this made into a sign and hanging it on the door.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 19:57, Water said:

Thanks all, I really appreciate it.  It's been such a rollercoaster, one minute you are very happy and super excited the next minute there are major issues. 

On 10/02/2021 at 17:22, Gav_P said:

Sounds fairly normal to me. I had several phases of hating my house and thinking about selling before finishing.. 

It’s not just builders, a friend of mine who is a reasonably successful musician told me he goes through the same process with every album - loves it, hates it, loves it again, hates it. At the second ‘hates it’ he knows it’s ready apparently. Seemed odd when he told me this years ago, maybe not so strange after all.

• Haha 1