Recessed windows

Water

Evening all,

It was planned that the windows would be recessed about 100mm from the brick work, I turned up on site today and its 50mm at best. I raised this with them and he said it was not a good idea to have the windows so far recessed at this is optimal. I'm a bit pissed off as it is not what was agreed but is he right?

The house is a brick/block new build with a cavity.

Do you have a detail? Snapshot of this would be great. Optimal is within the insulation layer.

Edited to add thermal modelling of a detail we are currently working on.

112.png.67efcf0fa17d46111ae7d7c59884ee8b.png113.png.eeebb3c37512d0d216d29ff938fa2204.png

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

Thanks all, they were drawn recessed and when you look at it you can measure from the window detail that its 100mm, I'm pretty annoyed I'd have accepted something like 70mm without being annoyed but its more like 40mm. I'm really annoyed about it but it seems I will have to go nuclear to get anything done about it so tempted to let it slide.

Either way it is really annoying. 

Get them moved, withhold any payments until it's done. Mistakes are made but they're making excuses to avoid doing the job properly.

The only thing I'd be careful of is to make sure the base of the window is properly supported. If it isn't the window may deform over time and not function properly. 

The windows have to fix into something . Your spec  presumably assumes they are fixing into the cavity closer  if they are sitting 100m from the facing brick - not something I would want tbh.

What window style....velux and ideal combi for example which use compriband wouldn't want the compriband to bridge from frame to cavity closer, they'd want it to seal against outer leaf.

Also what's your detail at the base.......

On 09/02/2021 at 18:31, Water said:

he said it was not a good idea to have the windows so far recessed at this is optimal

I'd start by asking him to expand on this explanation, it might be that in your scenario he has a good point you should take on board.  Do you currently understand the challenge of setting them back 100mm from the front leaf which is itself 100mm.  I know in my scenario I definitely wouldn't want that....80mm fine.

You've another window problem currently where you say "I can't work out if it is the architects plans which are wrong or it has been build incorrectly."  I'd suggest adequate drawings would make this easy to establish....do bear in mind though the actual illustrated window section will likely be a generic representation so taking a ruler to your drawing to scale off it may be unsound.

• 3 months later...

Sorry didn't see the replies earlier.

They are a 82mm flush timber frame. I've spoken to the manufacture and they are saying if I recess them it will block the weep holes which are at the bottom of the frame, how do other people get around this issue? You see many windows which are set back from the brickwork.

5 minutes ago, Water said:

They are a 82mm flush timber frame. I've spoken to the manufacture and they are saying if I recess them it will block the weep holes which are at the bottom of the frame, how do other people get around this issue? You see many windows which are set back from the brickwork.

The weepholes are in the bottom of the frame with a cill under to direct the water clear of the brickwork.