Service cavity

Were at the stage of purchasing our  battens for the ceiling, some are going on the sloping parts of the ceilings where there will be no lights in any of this, maybe a few wire runs if regs allow .We was thinking 25x50mm roofing laths. And for main ceiling was thinking of 50x50mm timbers. This will have low profile spotlights in was hoping to keep everything inside the vcl, would this be the normal way of adding spotlight to a ceiling with a vcl? 

Also i  read there has to be 50 mm depth from any wires, is this true and if so what size laths on sloping part of ceilings?

Regards  James

2 minutes ago, James94 said:

Also i  read there has to be 50 mm depth from any wires, is this true and if so what size laths on sloping part of ceilings?

I believe that wires should be 50mm deep where they go through rafters/battens but there is no requirement between rafters/battens. 

My architect has specified 50mm service void in the vaulted ceilings - void between insulation/membrane and plasterboard achieved with 50x50mm batons.  I don't think that's anything to do with regs, but more of a practical minimum. 

3 hours ago, James1994 said:

Sorry to sound a little thick but I’m not sure what you mean. Could you maybe word it so I might understand.

Regards.  James

I'm not an electrician but my understanding is that where a wire goes through a hole in a rafter or batten the hole must be 50mm from the surface. However elsewhere I believe it can be closer to the surface. Even in contact with the top of the plasterboard. For example downlight transformers are frequently just pushed through the hole and rest on the plasterboard.

So the depth of batten you need depends which direction your wires run..

image.png.9c9855dd3eceab5e137295f822f9e959.png

Then = Than.

Edited by Temp