Subfloor not level what do I do?

Haventgotaclue

So I’m got to lay overboard Wunda UFH. My subfloor is Woden floorboards. Unfortunately the floor drops by 2cm on one side. This is a level drop throughout the room so the floor is all 2cm lower on one side. So, firstly will this matter? If it does what’s the best, easiest, cheapest way of levelling off?

hope somebody can help

thanks

3 hours ago, Haventgotaclue said:

so the heat will work efficiently with the drop...that’s great news.

what would annoy you, the Unilever floor or having rectify it? 

Thanks for the reply btw

Uneven floors are my pet hate, I can feel the gradient while walking or sitting on a stool etc. Plus rectifying uneven wooden floors is a pain in the A&*E!

I would want to know WHY they are sloping?  Built badly or subsidence?

We tried once to buy a small timber bungalow with subsidence like that in one wing.  Our short term plan would have been to level the floor (it would not have fixed the wonky walls or ceiling) and let it for a while with the long term plan knock it down and rebuild.

Thanks for all the reply’s everyone. So there isn’t any underfloor insulation. However, I have been assured that the ufh overboard in buying doesn’t loose that much heat downward!!!

As for levelling off the 2cm loss...I reckon I will just leave it and plywood over the floorboards and then sick the ufh low profile boards on top. Not sure why there is a 2cm discrepancy...fingers crossed it’s not down to dodgy foundations. 

I have already taken of the skirts and arcs so that’s not an issue.

fingers crossed after reading all the advice I’m making the right choice and it all goes well!!!!

cheers

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No insulation under the floor, I very much doubt an UFH overlay board system has "enough" insulation.

Ouch. Don’t say that....

I asked about that same issue multiple times to the supplier and they reckons it’s designed for it. 

will the plywood offer any insulation?

Other than that it’s asking somebody to spray something to the underside of the floor boards at a later date as I don’t have time to sort it now!

If you have no insulation under it you might as well throw £20 notes on the fire to keep you warm, most of the people selling these overlay systems haven’t got a f###ing clue. 

Of course they said it will work they want to sell it. 

You need to rip the whole  floor up, find out why it is not level, insulate it properly, air seal it and then put the subfloor back down. 

If you you don’t want to do this then stick to radiators. 

So I’ve been back in touch with the UFH company to voice my (most people’s concerns regarding downward heat loss). They have reassured me with the system I have bought is designed for no insulation.

they have said I can get 75-80w/m2 output with wood finish and 96w/m2 output with tile finish. Reckon I’m happy with that!!!

also for any technical people reading this thread, the R-value of the panel is 0.447 (whatever that means ?)

cheers for everyone’s help

6 minutes ago, Haventgotaclue said:

they have said I can get 75-80w/m2 output with wood finish and 96w/m2 output with tile finish.

That may be true, but your going to be paying  for the same amount (if not more) to heat the underfloor void which will be colder so more losses. Recently a mate of mine bought a bungalow and the whole floor area was riddled with woodworm, we ripped the lot up, levelled the joists and replaced those too far gone, installed 100mm insulation between joists and new chipboard flooring. Sorts your sloping floor, insulates and saves you money for all those years that you are going to live there. You only buy insulation once, fuel, you keep paying for!

How thick is this panel?

UFH will of course elevate the floor temperature, so any heat loss through the floor will be greater than the same room heated with radiators where the floor would remain cool.  so it is important to insulate a floor well for UFH.

Yes it will "work" but how much of the heat that you put in will end up in the room, and how much will heat the under floor space and the outside?

One member on here worked out that even with 300mm of floor insulation, he still lost 8% of the heat put in down into the ground.

I personally think the company is being reckless to make the claims they are,

I would take up all the floor boards, string a netting (netlon) across the bottom of the joists and lay rockwool type insulation between all the joists, put the boards back and put your UFH system on top.

So I’ve just been reading about this and there are sites 

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would take up all the floor boards, string a netting (netlon) across the bottom of the joists and lay rockwool type insulation between all the joists, put the boards back and put your UFH system on top.

Do I need a vapour control layer above the joists?

A lot of sites suggest this with a vapour permeable membrane below joists. I will be working the the void so the control layer will be somewhat impossible.

thanks