Aftermarket blackout blinds for flat rooflights - which company is best

Adsibob

I’m looking to get a 1000mm by 2000mm 3G fixed flat rooflight for our bedroom. Currently tossing up between:

A small custom company who can do one for only £620

glasssquad which is about £900

Www.roof-maker.co.uk which is about £1200.

I’m slightly concerned that the first option is too good to be true, but I suspect it’s G value is too high.I am almost certainly going to eliminate roof maker on the basis of price, but this is the only company which also supplies compatible blackout blinds.

My question is, should this be a factor or is it safe to assume that an aftermarket blackout blind will be just as good. Roof-maker is ££££ and with a blackout blind from them it’s even more.

Which companies have people used for aftermarket blackout blinds for flat rooflights and are they 100% blackout or do you get some light coming through the edges? I’m very keen that our blackout blind works really well. I would prefer automated, but will compromise on that as long as blackout is really good.

I haven't personally experienced flat rooflight blackout blinds but for what it's worth I did once have a blackout blind in a Velux window and it never ceased to amaze me how perfect it was. Regularly I would open it in the morning and be really quite shocked going from absolute pitch black to daylight. I'm assuming ones for flat rooflights would be just as effective as it's the side rails required to defeat gravity that is the key to their success.

14 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

I haven't personally experienced flat rooflight blackout blinds but for what it's worth I did once have a blackout blind in a Velux window and it never ceased to amaze me how perfect it was. Regularly I would open it in the morning and be really quite shocked going from absolute pitch black to daylight. I'm assuming ones for flat rooflights would be just as effective as it's the side rails required to defeat gravity that is the key to their success.

Yes, Velux might be the market leader for this very reason. I would go with them, but they don’t do flat rooflights as big as I need them (about 1000x2000).

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I wasn't suggesting Velux as such, but would be expecting 100% blackout from whoever/wherever I did buy one from. 

Yes, me too. But my concern isn’t so much about blinds made by the manufacturer of the rooflight itself and sold as an optional accessory. I’m more concerned about learning which aftermarket blinds are recommended for flat fixed rooflights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

By way of update, the only quote I have for a motorised internal blackout blind which is 1800 by 900 in size, is an astronomical £2600 for a Shy blind with a somfy motor. Absurd! It shouldn't even cost half this. Can anyone recommend someone cheaper?

• 5 weeks later...
On 31/03/2021 at 13:46, tanneja said:

I plan to go with controlissblinds.co.uk.  Have had email exchanges with Chris Brooks, by far the most capable person I found in my research, and price seems ok to me, unsure how it compares with your quote.

Thanks @tanneja looks like a good company. Unfortunately they don’t sell blinds for flat roof rooflights.