Cutting Worktop

Bart1664

We have what I believe to be a granite worktop (shiny black stone) kitchen work top, could be something else but it's not timber etc. definitely stone of some sort. Anyhow, we need a new sink and we can't get a replacement. So we have found a reasonable quality stainless steel one however the inset/cut out of the existing hole needs to be enlarged to take this new sink by 5mm across the long edge. This could be 2.5 mm top and bottom or 5mm one side. The issue is can a DIY'er do it and if so how? I've seen a few tube videos showing grinding stones and diamond cutting discs - is this the way? Anyone done this?

It will have to be cut/grinded in situ but don't want it cracking as to replace would be very costly I suspect.

Advice/guidance welcomed.

21 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

Unless you have good practical experience using power tools and your hands, I'd contact a granite / stone worker. Those guys dealing with stone worktops can sort this easily, so its better to pay to do it once and get it right.

Well, I'm fairly confident and happy to 'have a go' but didn't know if it's something I should go at or leave to a professional if i could find one that would do it?

Thanks for the replies. It's surface mounted.

There is a company local to us that fits granite tops so they may do adjustments too so I think I'll give them a call first and see if they can do it otherwise I'll haveto go buy the blades and stones and give it a go myself.

32 minutes ago, Bart1664 said:

Thanks for the replies. It's surface mounted.

There is a company local to us that fits granite tops so they may do adjustments too so I think I'll give them a call first and see if they can do it otherwise I'll haveto go buy the blades and stones and give it a go myself.

For what it'll cost you to get the gear, coupled with risks of going at it yourself, I would get a guy to do it.

Cant be more than two hours work max, so may not be too costly. You could always speak to one of the fitters at your local place and see if they'd sort it one evening / weekend.

All corner need to have a large radius, can you get a cutter that can do that i.e. is there enough stone to centre the cutter in the right place?

I have a large angle grinder with a large diamond blade on it.

Edited by SteamyTea

6 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

For what it'll cost you to get the gear, coupled with risks of going at it yourself, I would get a guy to do it.

Cant be more than two hours work max, so may not be too costly. You could always speak to one of the fitters at your local place and see if they'd sort it one evening / weekend.

Indeed, my thoughts now. Mrs B is contacting the local firm as I write. ?