Van condensation

Hi guys, 

This winter has seen our van practically raining inside over all the tools. 

I am looking into preventing this from happening and looking for opinions on the cheapest most effective methods. I really only need to do the roof to stop droplets dropping down into opening boxes and electrical items on shelves etc. 

Ta

How old is the van ..? Cheapest and quickest way (which is permanent so not suitable for leased vans..!) is to buy some of the yoga or camping mats and cut them to shape then glue to the roof panels with contact adhesive. Best to try and get the fire retardent ones but that will stop condensation forming. 

also be aware it may be due to high humidity in the van due to a leak letting rainwater in, or even a heater matrix leak which is increasing the humidity causing condensation. 

52 minutes ago, avabanana said:

Hi guys, 

This winter has seen our van practically raining inside over all the tools. 

I am looking into preventing this from happening and looking for opinions on the cheapest most effective methods. I really only need to do the roof to stop droplets dropping down into opening boxes and electrical items on shelves etc. 

If you add a Fletner air circulator It will cure the problem overnight 

£72 on eBay 

Funny but when  I bought a shipping container for tools and building stuff I always had plans to insulate the roof but never required it, not a drop of condensation, could not believe it, no idea why?

a heater will only work when its on - stopping the cold surface from getting condensation ,by insulating it is a better idea +cheaper--unless your going to run the heater 24/7 in winter

why do think you car does not get wet oninside of roof ?

cos of the headlining 

Only guessing, but my vans over the years have been fine when new. A bit of condensation at about 5 years old. By 10 years i'm scraping ice off the inside of the windscreen. My thoughts are the door rubbers go flat, and perhaps start to rot out a bit. That lets the moist air in.

I have noticed that if I use the A/C in the car, during certain times of the year, after it has been parked up for a while, mist is on the screen.  Usually happens in the summer after I have been at work for a few hours in the evening.

10 hours ago, joe90 said:

I don’t understand

It is because it is at the same temperature and humidity as the ambient air and there is no liquid water in it to evaporate.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Funny but when  I bought a shipping container for tools and building stuff I always had plans to insulate the roof but never required it, not a drop of condensation, could not believe it, no idea why?

plenty of drafts - same temp inside as out- so no condensation