Will entrance door be bashed?

Dreadnaught

I am just about to order my front door, an expensive RK-model. I am worried about this pricey door getting bashed and scratched during the build. Unusually, I only have a single external door into my whole dwelling – no back door.

Would it be better to pay a chippy to put in a temporary entrance door now and delay the installation of the expensive one for a year, until the end of second-fix? Did everyone else do this? I have seen entrance doors covered with protective sheeting. Does that really work? How is it attached?

(My current progress: just about to pour my concrete raft foundation – when the weather warms-up. Am currently ordering the doors & windows, etc., so they all arrive soon after the timber frame goes-up.)

Yes - put something temporary in until you have all the plasterboard and large products inside then get the door installed.

Do you not have any French doors or similar ..? Watch out for sofas and things that size that may not fit a standard doorway too. 

10 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I am just about to order my front door, an expensive RK-model. I am worried about this pricey door getting bashed and scratched during the build. Unusually, I only have a single external door into my whole dwelling – no back door.

Would it be better to pay a chippy to put in a temporary entrance door now and delay the installation of the expensive one for a year, until the end of second-fix? Did everyone else do this? I have seen entrance doors covered with protective sheeting. Does that really work? How is it attached?

(My current progress: just about to pour my concrete raft foundation – when the weather warms-up. Am currently ordering the doors & windows, etc., so they all arrive soon after the timber frame goes-up.)

Yep . Temporary door . Rk doors are fantastic but you don’t want it banged or scratched 

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Do you not have any French doors or similar

Unfortunately not. The entrance door is close to 1.5m wide however, which could help.

Do have a 2.5m x 0.8m roof window over the kitchen. Sofa delivery by helicopter could work if all else failed.

4 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

? Thanks guys. Now I have to work out how to convince RK Doors to lock-in the price for a year. Anyone tried that?

Lol ! Think you’ll be lucky ! Of course you could offer to pay half now and a small fee to ‘hold’ it for 12 months ...

Fantastic doors by the way ! - though my finger scanner has since died ☹️

• Thanks 1

Just now, pocster said:

Fantastic doors by the way !

Yes, I'm going for the extra fat, super-insulated version in this design. 1.5m wide so a bit wider than in the image. Black escutcheon (yes I didn't know either: keyhole) unlike in the image. That's a bespoke groove pattern by the way.

1432695382_2020-12-07.Doordesignwithfourgrooves.jpg.4970a426e793de22a4721f66f0a14598.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Yes, I'm going for the extra fat, super-insulated version in this design. 1.5m wide so a bit wider than in the image. Black escutcheon (yes I didn't know either: keyhole) unlike in the image. That's a bespoke groove pattern by the way.

1432695382_2020-12-07.Doordesignwithfourgrooves.jpg.4970a426e793de22a4721f66f0a14598.jpg

Here’s ours 

2E2B39CC-2C37-44BC-820C-0E8FA9BB975E.jpeg

• Like 1

Defo delay install...i've damaged my own door being careful, it doesn't require a careless contractor.  Also if its a metal skin as mine, i'm finding the finish very vulnerable, to the point i'm going to put helicopter tape around the key hole area to protect from inadvertent scrape by stuff dangling from keyring.

• Like 1