First floor bay windows

Selfbuilder786

Hi my first post on here. My planning officer wants me to remove the first floor 45degree bay windows out. As he says it may over look the neighbours garden. Is there some guidelines about what is considered as overlooking. There are some trees in the way to obscure the view. 

I've attached proposed site plan. Pics of current trees, also a overview from the window from a 3d renderings when the plans are drawn. Also a render of the back house design. I do like the way bay windows look and fit in with the design. Not really seen better window designs. 

Screenshot_20210207-020459_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-020522_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-020625_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-020939_Office.jpg

This would be down to the PO’s interpretation and is determined on a case by case basis.

The bay windows are located on the rear elevation but I suppose there is a ‘part’ argument they do form some kind of side elevation, albeit angled.

Are the trees protected because it not, you’ll struggle to use them to afford privacy and reduce overlooking to neighbours?

If I was in your position, I’d argue to leave the windows and if Planning is refused, Appeal it. I’d be surprised if Planning were to refuse the whole application based on angled bay windows. If anything, they can condition them to be obscured and have no openings below 1.7m, etc... But I feel that would be a little harsh and you could challenge that condition via a Section 73 application post Planning approval.

I can't see where the roof is on the bays.  I don't think it would kill the elevation if you just had bays on the ground floor and probably would not make much difference to you, especially if they serve bedrooms.  If the trees are deciduous the windows may cause some overlooking as current.

I've not learned how to do the bay window roofs yet. New to this self build so all is a learning curve. It's hard to tell in the render but wanted a taller section of bay windows. Top and bottom. To give the house better design and apperence. Maybe something like the attached pic. 

The trees are not protected. So if I put in obscure side windows on the bay windows. Got the trees there. That would mean I could potentially convince the PO I think? 

Screenshot_20210207-115127_Gallery.jpg

It’s always common to have the enhanced architectural details and features on a front elevation, especially when that is considered to be the principal elevation. It’s very rare to continue this to the rear elevation, especially as it adds additional costs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi do after a lot of going back and forth with the po I made the bay windows to rear ground floor only. The po doesn't seem to like the back design of the middle gable. I checked the size and oversight. It doesn't effect light. Neighbours can not see it from the back of their house. Only if they go deep at the back of their garden. PO stats

In terms of what is not proposed – I still think the gable protrusion in the middle is too wide and bulky. As noted I’m happy with a single storey flat roof extension (with balcony above if desired) instead with a similar footprint.

Before he made me change the design because he didn't want me having a balcony and made me put a flat roof with a big window in the middle. I think the new design looks a lot better and it's a modern design with the large middle gable. I think he just wants me to stick to a simple design. 

I'm thinking if I should just submit as I made it and try fighting for it or should I just get plans submitted as his saying in the preassesment stage and see how I feel about it. Maybe fighting for the redesign later? I would like to start build mid June. 

Screenshot_20210223-200509_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210223-200732_Gallery.jpg