Mains entry point

djcdan

Our foundations are currently going in and our groundworkers and I have been in discussion regarding routing of services beneath the slab.

For the entry point for water, we have two options; beneath the kitchen sink at the edge of the property, or routing the entry point in the cupboard housing the water cylinder, which is in the centre of the property.

It'll cost a little more to get the supply to the centre of the property as we'll require lintels, but it would be my preferred entry point as it would simplify the plumbing job later in the build and would reduce the amount of plumbing around the kitchen area (in comparison to a mains entry point beneath the kitchen sink).

Does anyone have any feedback, positive or negative about bring mains entry to the water cylinder store cupboard?

Why would taking it to the plant room require lintels. 

You are talking about a watermain installed into a duct, if the duct is 100mm diameter you would just bridge over it with a block laid  flat. 

I would take it to the point it will be used the most, plant room, the kitchen sink will just have a cold feed to it from the plant room. 

23 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why would taking it to the plant room require lintels.

We're having trench foundations. To get to the plant room (less so of a room, but more store cupboard housing the cylinder), it needs to go across two trenches, and therefore through two sets of 100mm block underbuilding

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would take it to the point it will be used the most, plant room

Thanks. I've dropped an email to our heating engineer who's installing the ASHP and cylinder. I feel like the only reason this wouldn't be the suitable option is a lack of space in the cupboard. **I have no idea the amount of space required at the mains entry point**

Going through a block wall with a 100mm duct does not require a lintel unless you had a high load on the point above the duct. 

Imagine if the wall was built and you drilled a 100mm diameter hole in it, you wouldn’t then install a lintel. 

But anyway lintel or no lintel you are you are talking about £20 for a couple of lintels so not really any point in even adding that up, put it where you think it will be best used. 

At the most it will require a 100mm diameter hole in the floor with a 25-32 mm pipe sticking out of it, try to get it close to a wall so it can be clipped up neat. 

Its next to no room at all really. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1