Shower recommendations for ASHP

Hi all; great forum! Hope someone can help. Have a 11.2 KW Ecodan ASHP. Having a new bathroom installed, current set up is a gravity fed low water pressure system.

Any recommendations for a shower make and model, and any changes needed, ie convert to a high pressure system throughout the house. I don’t mind spending a bit more to get it right and have a reliable system.  Really want a walk in shower so any recommendations of a shower with an ASHP would be great. Prefer to know peoples personal recommendations thanks.

Apologies if it’s obvious but I know very little about these sort of things and neither does my husband.

How big is the hot water cylinder and where is it in the house ..? Could change for an unvented cylinder and get mains pressure hot water and lose the attic tanks in the process. Would give you better options on the showers, alternative is fit a pumped shower but that may need changes to pipework. 

New taller 180L Powerflow unvented cylinder installed with ASHP in airing cupboard on same floor as the bedrooms with like what looks like a red mini Henry hoover on top. Apparently this can be converted to a vented and be changed to high pressure ??

I can't give personal recommendations other than my cheap Screwfix pump and combined mixer.

But I think you need to think about the 3 separate sides of the design.

The ASHP

The water storage

The Mixing system.

As you already have the ASHP, you cannot do anything with that.  So it is down to storage and mixing.

There are basically two types of storage. One where you use the heated water directly (which I suspect is what you already have) and the other where the cold, incoming mains water is heated via a heat exchanger.  This heat exchanger may be as simple as a coil in a cylinder that takes cold water in one end, and comes out the other hot, taking the heat from the stored energy in the cylinder.  It may be a plate heat exchanger that sits outside the cylinder and has the hot water inside the cylinder pumped though one side of it, while the cold water is forced, via mains pressure, though the other side of it (I doubt you have one of these).

The mixing is really just a tap with a valve that can vary the flow rated between the hot and the cold to get the temperature you desire.  Some do this automatically, and some, like mine, manually (why it was cheap, but reliable).  The main thing to know about mixing hot and cold is that the pressure must be the same on both sides, this is to stop the higher pressure forcing itself up the low pressure side i.e. into the loft storage tank, which would then overflow, and possibly collapse if the water is very hot (not likely with a properly set up heat pump).

I like gravity fed, pumped systems as they are very simple to understand, reliable, cheap components and can be self installed, but they are noisy.

2 hours ago, Chris8986 said:

New taller 180L Powerflow unvented cylinder installed with ASHP in airing cupboard on same floor as the bedrooms with like what looks like a red mini Henry hoover on top. Apparently this can be converted to a vented and be changed to high pressure ??

Are you saying you have an unvented Powerflow cylinder currently installed. If so it is already a high pressure cylinder so why would you convert in to a vented low pressure system. Is the ASHP an outside HP which provides the DHW and heating or is the ASHP an interior HP that only provides hot water for the cylinder. I don't know if your 'red mini Henry hoover' is an ASHP or an expansion vessel. Do you have a photo you could post.

Sorry just saw your first post about Ecodan so ignore the ASHP question.

Edited by PeterStarck

2 hours ago, Chris8986 said:

This is a high pressure unvented cylinder. You have mains pressure water. 

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

Has @Chris8986 got his vented and unvented mixed up?

Yes I think so.  

31 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Are you saying you have an unvented Powerflow cylinder currently installed. If so it is already a high pressure cylinder so why would you convert in to a vented low pressure system. Is the ASHP an outside HP which provides the DHW and heating or is the ASHP an interior HP that only provides hot water for the cylinder. I don't know if your 'red mini Henry hoover' is an ASHP or an expansion vessel. Do you have a photo you could post.

Sorry just saw your first post about Ecodan so ignore the ASHP question.

Hi yes I just checked the red object is an expansion vessel and the ASHP is outside which provides DHW.  
cylinder is airing cupboard with flow controller, ASHP ecodanis outside.hope that makes sense.

Edited by Chris8986