Garden wall movement joints

MarkyP

I'm planning on walling off a section of garden but would like to if possible avoid using movement joints. The wall will be long, more than 10 metres for each run to square off a section of garden. No brickie yet but I know a few and with sand and cement I'm expecting to be advised to incorporate movement joints which I really dont like, especially in a feature wall like this. We're on chalk ground, soil only about 12 inches deep and then it's solid chalk so nice base to build on and I will run a decent footing.  If the wall was built with NHL 3.5 rather than sand and cement might that stand a chance of accomodating any settlement or movement without joints? it's going to be fairly high, in the order of 1.8m to 2m, 9 inch with piers at suitable spacings. Lots of old walls around this way without joints (or cracks) but I wonder if the lime mortar in these old period walls is pretty weak stuff and 3.5 might be stronger and relatively more brittle. Anyone chanced lime without movement joints? thanks