Replacing slates - what to look out for, and what slates do I have?

Oxbow16

Hi

We've got a decommissioned wood stove and we'll soon be having the flue removed, so the hole will need to be patched over...  We are supplying the slates.  Our existing slates are 20" x 12".  

Reclaimed slates have nail holes in them and I wondered if this matters?  If the holes don't line up with my roof's battens, might that cause a problem?

Also, can anyone tell from photos what type of slates these are?  

And finally, any rough idea how many will be needed?  

Many thanks

IMG_20210130_101245860.thumb.jpg.59d56624861c12b23f27229af62621c3.jpg

IMG_20210130_101253262.thumb.jpg.d724def5c333ec57622ad8db9b5c8bc7.jpg

IMG_20210130_101302211.thumb.jpg.0f8ab4e80eb2d0b753f5e0e64635b016.jpg

IMG_20210130_101316620.thumb.jpg.f1dd27d7c68d0c773cb8f256fbee7b3f.jpg

IMG_20210130_101430032_HDR.thumb.jpg.da2d80e7371a614cc792f022c285bc22.jpg

No idea what slates but the good news is being close to the ridge it’s a lot easier to remove the ridge tile and strip down to the hole, I don’t suppose the holes not lining up with battens will matter, you could put in additional timber or make new holes.

16 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

Haha - don't shoot the messenger, I'm just repeating what I read on the internet :)    Apparently Penrhyn Heather Blues adorn Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street!

But can you get them at a decent price (delabole are very expensive, which is why I had Spanish for my new build ?‍♂️).

Hi again

We went to the reclamation yard at the weekend and picked up some matching slates for the patch up work needed. I'm guessing it is hard to tell from photos, but I wondered whether anyone can tell what condition they are in? I read that they are supposed to ring when tapped; these certainly don't. But then I also read that not all old tiles will ring like a bell. I could try a short video of me tapping them with a hammer and post it to Google Drive?

Are the size of the holes and the damage around the holes a problem?

The reclaimed ones are also a tad larger; just by a few mm. Will that make the roofer's job more difficult or is that quite normal and expected?

Any thoughts before the workman comes to fit them would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the help :)

IMG_20210209_083624331.jpg

IMG_20210209_083722664.jpg

On 03/02/2021 at 17:57, Oxbow16 said:

I've since been told that they might be Penrhyn Heather Blue.  And if that's correct then I'm well chuffed as they are supposedly the finest roofing slate in the world!  

Ballachulish was the best slate in the world, the Welsh stuff came in second best...

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

If you hold them in one corner and tap them with a knuckle and they sound really flat and dull they may have a crack, best way to test is to "gently" knock it on your knee and see if it breaks last thing you want to do is fit slates with cracks that may not be visiable

Many thanks for the further replies and help.  I'll give them another tap with that in mind @Hobbiniho  Thanks for explaining :)  

In terms of Welsh vs Cornish vs Scottish, etc. I think I'd best stay out of that.  I love living in Wales, but I'm not Welsh.  In fact, I'm originally from Luton and I don't think there are many slates from that town!  So suffice to say that Penrhyns are a great slate tile, even if not best in the world.  But when it comes to cars, you can't beat Vauxhall ;)