My build costs.

ProDave

This design is 145m2. It's unlikely you actually need 180m2. 

350mm cavity wall. 2650mm ceilings downstairs and 2400mm upstairs. 

It allows for 4 beds, 1 ensuite, Walk in wardrobe, entrance hall, generous Utility, kitchen diner, large living room, study, family bathroom and a ground floor shower and W/C.

I think unless a very large family demands it you could loose the study, a bedroom, the walk in wardrobe, the ensuite and make the living room smaller. 

Amateur Bob 145m2 Ground floor.JPG

AmateurBob 145m2 First floor.JPG

AmateurBob145m2 Elevations.JPG

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

would a 2 storey not be about as cheap as i wouldnt need dormer windows? im central scotland, yes i could potentially leave some of upstairs unfinished would this save much money though?

If I remember correctly your planning permission was refused, I expect you are appealing this or have found another way to apply but if you can eventually persuade the planners to grant permission they might be very specific as to what you can build and 2 storey houses are not often allowed in the countryside in central Scotland so you are probably wasting your time trying to price anything up until you can be sure of what will be allowed.

1 hour ago, recoveringbuilder said:

If I remember correctly your planning permission was refused, I expect you are appealing this or have found another way to apply but if you can eventually persuade the planners to grant permission they might be very specific as to what you can build and 2 storey houses are not often allowed in the countryside in central Scotland so you are probably wasting your time trying to price anything up until you can be sure of what will be allowed.

yes im going to reapply with a business justification, a lot of houses nearby are 2 storey so id hope they will allow it if not i might consider velux?

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

This design is 145m2. It's unlikely you actually need 180m2. 

350mm cavity wall. 2650mm ceilings downstairs and 2400mm upstairs. 

It allows for 4 beds, 1 ensuite, Walk in wardrobe, entrance hall, generous Utility, kitchen diner, large living room, study, family bathroom and a ground floor shower and W/C.

I think unless a very large family demands it you could loose the study, a bedroom, the walk in wardrobe, the ensuite and make the living room smaller. 

Amateur Bob 145m2 Ground floor.JPG

AmateurBob 145m2 First floor.JPG

AmateurBob145m2 Elevations.JPG

its a similar design to that i was thinking of, how much do u reckon that could be built for with me organising the tradesman?

3 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

are you saying all that timber shell in the pic was only 13k? i hadnt considered velux but tbh it makes sense and could be the cheapest option?

Yes.

Membranes, fixings and a telehandler hire for two weeks, all included in that.

Also a chunk went into building the suspended timber ground floor.

Velux is the way to go upstairs.

I provided virtually all the materials for the build. The only stuff I did not provide was for the foundations, blockwork and drainage pipes.

3 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

its a similar design to that i was thinking of, how much do u reckon that could be built for with me organising the tradesman?

£215,000

Smaller houses are more expensive per m2.

The only houses I've seen built to mega low prices per m2 have been enormous >300m2 or have been terribly finished or have had huge amounts of unpaid labour by the owner.  Often a combination of all 3. 

A better place to start with is your budget and needs both now and the future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iceverge said:

@Amateur bob

This is quick impression of what it could look like. 

Not pretty but it's a house. 

Footprint 10.4x10m

4 very large bedrooms, 1 toilet/shower. 

2 receptions and a study.

Large kitchen. 

Utility. 

Apart from reducing the size from your 180m2 I can't see anywhere else obvious to reduce costs. 

Amateur bob elevations.JPG

Amateur bob house.JPG

You have been to milton keynes then? These already exist. Though in fairness, they date from the 80's rather than being new.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger440 said:

You have been to milton keynes then? These already exist. Though in fairness, they date from the 80's rather than being new.

Good grief. i just looked it up. 

Someone actually went and did it. 

Still though, you can’t just blame houses for all of society’s woes. It could have been lovely.

image.png.1b787f47f156777ee37ad3160d9a2941.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Yes.

Membranes, fixings and a telehandler hire for two weeks, all included in that.

Also a chunk went into building the suspended timber ground floor.

Velux is the way to go upstairs.

I provided virtually all the materials for the build. The only stuff I did not provide was for the foundations, blockwork and drainage pipes.

did u provide the wood for the frame and get a joiner to build it up?

40 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

did u provide the wood for the frame and get a joiner to build it up?

Yes, building a timber frame is quite cheap to do. If you had all materials available a couple of joiners would knock a kit together very quickly. Making panels is a fairly simple task for a joiner to do.

For ordering the materials I went through my structural engineers plan and measured all that I needed and put in orders with a building merchant. It was harder for me because of the remoteness of my location and therefore ensuring materials came at the right point. Regular communication is critical with all parties.

Wastage was pretty minimal (I.e. for plasterboard I had just one sheet over ordered). Timber, OSB can be used later in the build. Some stuff you do end up with spares (like 1/2 roll of membrane) but I can use it for future project like a small shed or a wood store. If I used a single builder, for a big job like a self build, they would order the same materials and take away the excess materials priced for my job for other smaller jobs with other customers.

I don't have a background in building and not good at DIY, very much an amateur. 

The other point you need to seriously consider is that build cost are an important, but if you are borrowing you will need a valuation report at the start and end if you build a house that looks cheap that is going to reduce your valuation and affect your ability to borrow.

Edited by Thedreamer
  • Like 1

I’m encouraged by your post @ProDave, congrats!

leaves me with a question...

Is it possible to build to near PH standards a block cavity 120m2+ 3 bed house for £150k, doing groundwork, electrics, plumbing, plastering, roofing etc myself? 

can someone break down the figures for me ie

Insulated foundation £

Walls £

windows/doors £

drainage £

roof £ 

MVHR £

etc or point me to a guide on this site please?

thanks