ToughButterCup

This 

FromThis.thumb.jpg.bc6133a5793d6046f99ad6b5154e950f.jpg

looks like this today

ToThis.thumb.jpg.ced38b0c91a979e0e679bf0e4a874812.jpg

I had a look at my records: January 2014 was the moment we first thought we might have a go at a planning application because our colleagues told us it was worth a try. Many  times we were advised (correctly by estate agent friends and others) not to bother. @MrsRA bought the orchard  (which the digger is now levelling) in 1985. It's nearly 30 years since there was a glint in her eye about getting a house built here.

When we've built the house we'll reinstate the orchard. Put your orders in for Damson jam quick as you like.

I can't tell you what a relief it has been to get to today.

Piling mat will be finished Wednesday, and the stone columns go in on Saturday. The BCOs (Approved Inspectors) are having a CPD session at our place on that day , so a couple of inspectors are coming to see the stone columns go in, and the piling  company Town and Country Vibro is also having a company training session at the same time. Better go and buy some more tea bags.

• Like 7

Wow, and i thought I took a long time to get started, well done mate, it puts a big grin on your face doesn't it? The good thing about the long wait is you have had plenty of time to plan everything and some of my items have changed full circle during the last couple of years.  Congratulations ?

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

I was lying Dave.

That's a 16 tonner. Puts my little 3alpha in the shadows somewhat. I'm going to have a go on it tomorrow. Can't wait

I bet you don't sleep tonight, you will be like a 10 year old on Christmas Eve. Enjoy!

On 06/02/2017 at 21:15, Declan52 said:

The bigger they are the easier they are to drive so you will be fine. Just remember when slewing round that the boom is way longer than you are used to!!!

My God it was brilliant fun. Just fabulous.

Its so stable and smooth. And easy to nick the track with the bucket teeth because it's got a quick hitch, and so the arm's that bit longer. The controls are exactly the same, except for foot pedals which makes spinning off (is that the right term?) much much easier.

37 tonner due to tomorrow with a stonking great big vibro thingy  on the front; the contracts manager has promised me a go on it.  It's their smallest machine. (!)  And @MrsRA choses today to go to Copenhagen for a girls bonding session. When she could have had a go on the the piler. Oh dear. Never mind, what a shame.

I think I might be up for sponsoring some research into how the digger has become the oposable thumb of modern man juxtaposed, by way of balance, with a similar discourse on the iPad for modern women as both seem to extend the reach and allow one to get so much more done. Good / bad to be evaluated.

Edited by MikeSharp01

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

My God it was brilliant fun. Just fabulous.

Its so stable and smooth. And easy to nick the track with the bucket teeth because it's got a quick hitch, and so the arm's that bit longer. The controls are exactly the same, except for foot pedals which makes spinning off (is that the right term?) much much easier.

37 tonner due to tomorrow with a stonking great big vibro thingy  on the front; the contracts manager has promised me a go on it.  It's their smallest machine. (!)  And @MrsRA choses today to go to Copenhagen for a girls bonding session. When she could have had a go on the the piler. Oh dear. Never mind, what a shame.

How many goes did it take you to change buckets. Quick hitch is the best invention for fat digger drivers.

• Like 1

Mrs PD never had the slightest interest in having a go on the digger.

Quick hitch MAKES fat digger drivers. Mine, you had to line it up and put the pins in. You soon learned to work the levers from outside the digger for that.

Jan prefers to do all of the driving and since I used to have to do a lot for my job before I retired, I am quite happy for her to let her -- a win,win.  The main time that she wants me to drive is when we go to friends for a meal and she doesn't want me to drink too much, so she plays the "it's your turn to be the designated driver" card.

So if we ever got a digger (and I am thinking of hiring one like Ed had went we do the back garden), then I suspect that she'd want to do the the driving!!

11 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

... with a stonking great big vibro thingy ... @MrsRA ... could have had a go on the the piler. 

:o

My missus was all over the digger and dumper we had onsite for a while.  She loves that kind of thing.