Contemporary Cladding

Trw144

Does anyone have any experience on contemporary cladding finishes in the UK? Probably seen more on commercial properties than domestic in this country but we like the clean modern lines they can bring (we are currently thinking a mixture of timber and this more modern cladding). I can imagine it could be one of those areas with only a few suppliers and therefore horrendously priced. Image attached for example..

Image.jpg

05_swisspearl_housexl.jpg

Edited by Trw144

@Trw144 that looks to be zinc for the large majority, there’s a recent threads on here about zinc, it’s not the cheapest. 

The timber cladding on the second image looks pretty standard but again I don’t suspect it will be cheap, especially regarding the labour of a good chippy. 

• Like 1

Yes some could be zinc, I assumed there could be some composite versions too. The second one is from this website, but as I said - probably far more common on the continent. Swisspearl Largo Nobilis – Swisspearl Swiss Premium Façades (who do appear to have UK office/installers)

Edited by Trw144

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

Yes some could be zinc, I assumed there could be some composite versions too. The second one is from this website, but as I said - probably far more common on the continent. Swisspearl Largo Nobilis – Swisspearl Swiss Premium Façades (who do appear to have UK office/installers)

Hi trw144,

The second image def looks like zinc to me, but the first looks to possibly be a mix of zinc and composite. It's hard to tell.

I've had samples of swiss pearl. It's ok, but it's not what I ideally wanted. I've also had samples of another product called Oko skin. This is also a glass fibre reinforced cement product. Interesting textures to some of that, but again, not for me.

The thread that Russdl referred to was started by me, and, is under he extensions sub titled zinc standing seam.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

Does anyone have any experience on contemporary cladding finishes in the UK? Probably seen more on commercial properties than domestic in this country but we like the clean modern lines they can bring (we are currently thinking a mixture of timber and this more modern cladding). I can imagine it could be one of those areas with only a few suppliers and therefore horrendously priced. Image attached for example..

Image.jpg

05_swisspearl_housexl.jpg

Picture 2 shows a flatlock metal cladding. There are quite a few suppliers around in the UK - Zinc, Copper, Coated aluminium/steel, Stainless Steel.

In picture 1 it looks like a metal fascia, again using a flatlock or simple lap.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Picture 2 shows a flatlock metal cladding. There are quite a few suppliers around in the UK - Zinc, Copper, Coated aluminium/steel, Stainless Steel.

In picture 1 it looks like a metal fascia, again using a flatlock or simple lap.

I remember looking at the okoskin a good few years back for our current house, just looking back on their website and the concreteskin panels are looking like the finish I am initially drawn to. Did you get a rough £ m/2 price for the okoskin or swisspearl? I would have quite a lot of building to clad.

For reference, a very early stage of our design is attached (we're happy with the gable, but have some work to do on the rectangular structure to add some interest to it architecturally)...

RENDER-1.jpg

Edited by Trw144

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Go and have a drive around gravenhill in Oxford there are more external finishes on houses than I have seen anywhere else in the world. 

Yes, it's definitely something that needs to be seen in the flesh 

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

we used rockpanel, in grey   they do it in a lot of  finishes . Its very hard wearing and looks great,  

outside 2 front.JPG

Thanks. We've got lots of samples on their way so I ll take a look at these also. 

On 31/01/2021 at 17:24, Trw144 said:

I remember looking at the okoskin a good few years back for our current house, just looking back on their website and the concreteskin panels are looking like the finish I am initially drawn to. Did you get a rough £ m/2 price for the okoskin or swisspearl? I would have quite a lot of building to clad.

For reference, a very early stage of our design is attached (we're happy with the gable, but have some work to do on the rectangular structure to add some interest to it architecturally)...

RENDER-1.jpg

It looks amazing..and massive! That's one hell of a gable window and vaulted ceiling.

Good luck with weeding out the samples.

Edited by SimonD
  • Thanks 1