The ultimate Garden Studio / Gym / Shed build

BartW

7 hours ago, Linto said:

Have you considered using SIPs to build it? Probably towards the top end of what you are talking price wise but would be a straight forward build and you could clad using what ever you fancy. 

Something like this

This looks rather smart, and quick. Yes, it is likely to cost towards the top end, if not more, but it also takes away some of the basic fun that comes with the "freedom of design" when it comes to the opening sizes, etc.

Nevertheless, it may be something I will look into, so thanks! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread:

What about a shed made out of pallets? I got inspired by this idea on YouTube.

Would that hold and be safe for walls and floor?

7 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

I imagine that it would look like a shed made out of pallets, as does everything made out of pallets ?

And that's where you're wrong! ?

They can look alright but there's a bit of compromise. I built one with the nephew. The key is getting the same pallets ideally. Even then you might find a tub of Screwfix's finest plastic shims a great help.

Decent square base. Then a 4x2 sole plate all round, itself sat on a strip of dpm. 

20170801_170427

Butt them together and screw. You will need some reclaimed bits let in to and screwed to the bottom line of pallets and the ones that'll sit on top. You'll have to cut/adapt pallets for doorways and windows. Pallets were painted as it progressed.

2017-08-05_11-54-46

Membrane the whole lot outside. I left him to it to do the roof. You need to let in sections to form a wall plate at the top. He clad the inside again, with pallet wood:

IMG-20191006-WA0004

20191005_153818

20191005_153759

Clad. In this case various trimmings from a DIY lumber mill.

IMG-20191006-WA0000

Painted & with "Dad" sign and bird box! Reclaimed front door. 

IMG_1973

To be fair this was my nephew's first proper DIY project on his own and I think it came out alright. When he started a square was a novelty, now he uses a bevel gauge!

I still catch my head on that corner of the front fascia. Mind you he's a porg. 

Make or buy a pallet buster btw!

IMG_20180821_140652524.thumb.jpg.7991eb6adde7bca92bd005718a1eb077IMG_20180821_150055295.thumb.jpg.49b366d78f8a7df7eb93b24599b0afda

https://youtu.be/cvG5pe62DsE

I think @ProDave built one too essentially to mount his DIY PV array.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, @ProDave built a solar array then realised he could make a shed out of the space under it ?.

You're correct. I'm getting confused! His pallet shed was a separate thread!

• Like 1