Setting a Samsung AE160JXYDEH to cool

troggy02

Looking for advice on an Samsung ASHP. During the hottest summer days I'd like to cool the floors. We can debate how effective this is likely to be in a different thread, but for here I'm looking for help solving why I can't get it to switch.

If I connect a thermostat to the designated inputs for cooling in the control kit, I can see cooling selected if I put the control panel in to diagnostic mode. On the panel itself however, the mode button does not change the "operation" mode from heating to "cooling" or "auto". It's locked in heating. In the service mode settings cooling is enabled.

I've read that ASHP sold under the RHI scheme are locked to heat only, but our house is a new build and not eligible for RHI. Is it possible this unit is locked? and if so how can I get it unlocked.

Any advice gratefully received.

20201128_104340 (1).jpg

20210130_200528.jpg

• 5 months later...

Sadly no. I contacted Samsung support who put me in contact with a couple of their expert suppliers but both were useless. Their advice consisted of telling me there was no reason why it couldn't and advising that cooling the slab my crack it! The unit has specific settings for slab cooling (UFH) and limits the temp to 19c. I suspect my next step is to pay them to come on site.

We could of course install separate air conditioning pumps, but we dont want large units sitting around the house for the 5 daya a year we need them. Especially when there's a really big one that could do the job already there!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I emailed Samsung tech support with this email:

I have installed a Samsung Joule R32 16kw ASHP (AE160RXYDEG) and cylinder (HUGH-G63013-3C) and I am trying to get it set up for cooling.

Can you please advise how this should be done? I believe terminals B21 and B23 call for cooling when they receive a 230V signal but can't figure out what else needs to be done to get the system to switch over properly.

And here's a screenshot of their response

Screenshot_20240205_120702.jpg

Very interesting!!

Thanks for sharing, I am surprised. When I tried to contact Samsung about this, they refused to engage with me because I wasn't an installer!! Could have pretended to be one I guess, but then my questions would show that I am indeed...not an installer! :D