3kw DIY install

Rossek9

Just an update on this. Ive just received my first quote back for an in-roof 3kw system for £4.2k.

This is for a mcs system registered for fit so doesn't seem too bad.

This price didn't include vat..........should this be zero rated?

That price seems reasonable and yes, it should be zero rated for a new build, as it's supply and fit.  Our PV supplier wasn't aware that new builds should be zero rated, so as well as send them a chit with the planning details etc on, I also emailed them links to the HMRC guidance. 

Ok thanks.

The price did say that it did not include vat................although that doesn't mean they don't intend to charge it xD

I am still awaiting a few other companies to price as well so will see how they come back.

I would be interested, only have room for 2.5kw.... was thinking of DIY but could be interested mcs registered system for comparison?

Any companies that could be recommend gratefully received:D

Thanks

David.

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

We bought our PV array for the outbuildings from Wagner Renewables http://wagnersolarshop.com/ on recommendation from someone on ebuild. They put together a complete kit, even down to the labels to make the whole thing compliant. At the time they were very competitive price wise (after a haggle). 

Think that may have been me, but not sure ..!!  Wagners have priced for me in the past and as you say they are very competitive on pricing especially if you will take the panels they have in stock. They do the whole in roof system too  

13 hours ago, Barney12 said:

We bought our PV array for the outbuildings from Wagner Renewables http://wagnersolarshop.com/ on recommendation from someone on ebuild. They put together a complete kit, even down to the labels to make the whole thing compliant. At the time they were very competitive price wise (after a haggle). 

How would we go about getting this registered for FIT if we bought the kit?

Sorry for the newbie question but I was of the understanding that we would need to use an mcs registered installed who would no doubt want to supply there own equipment.

11 minutes ago, Rossek9 said:

How would we go about getting this registered for FIT if we bought the kit?

Sorry for the newbie question but I was of the understanding that we would need to use an mcs registered installed who would no doubt want to supply there own equipment.

Seriously consider the benefits before going MCS

Look at your theoretical generation capability and the cost of the MCS cert and see what the payback is on the difference. If it's north of 10 years to get the difference back (not unreasonable given current FIT rates) then I wouldn't bother with MCS  

i just got a quote of £9.8k for a 8.3kw in roof system, mcs registered. I reackon i can do a DIY instal for £7k on a like for like basis. Is the MCS worth the extra £2800. All prices are excluding vat.

38 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

i just got a quote of £9.8k for a 8.3kw in roof system, mcs registered. I reackon i can do a DIY instal for £7k on a like for like basis. Is the MCS worth the extra £2800. All prices are excluding vat.

At this point you do your solar calculation at the EST website and compare :-o .

Edited by Ferdinand

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 09:31, JSHarris said:

The PVGIS web site has a tool for predicting what you will get for any location and panel orientation and angle, and in our case it's usually within about 10% of what we really get: http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php#

Will be intesting to see if you can still drop the pin in the UK in a little under two years - get your calcs done now! 

A Google found this page:

http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/about-us/news-and-events/140-mcs-certificates-consumers-rhi

it is of course out of date but it does raise a genuine scenario "Your installer goes bust before they've completed the registration". 

Considering the number of business failures of late in the renewables sector you could imagine it must happen. 

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Seriously consider the benefits before going MCS

Look at your theoretical generation capability and the cost of the MCS cert and see what the payback is on the difference. If it's north of 10 years to get the difference back (not unreasonable given current FIT rates) then I wouldn't bother with MCS  

Doing the calculations a 3kw system at £4.2k would take 17 years to pay back although with a diverter to heat hot water this could well be less.

I think the cheapest I could get a DIY in roof system would be £2.5k.............surely the extra £1.7k is a worth while to get the extra FIT and export payment?

12 minutes ago, Rossek9 said:

Doing the calculations a 3kw system at £4.2k would take 17 years to pay back although with a diverter to heat hot water this could well be less.

I think the cheapest I could get a DIY in roof system would be £2.5k.............surely the extra £1.7k is a worth while to get the extra FIT and export payment?

It may be worth it, it depends on whether the additional FIT and export payment would cover the extra cost in a reasonable period.  Bear in mind that the inverter probably has a life of around 10 years, so 2 or 3 inverter replacements need to be factored in to the cost.

Things have changed a great deal in the past few years, so it's no longer as clear-cut as to whether an MCS installed PV system is worth the extra cost.  Back when our 6.25 kWp array was connected, we managed to get a reasonably good deal, although nothing like as good as those who installed system a year or so earlier.  We're now getting 14.23p/kWh of generation, plus 5.03p per kWh of deemed export, which for us is a bit over £1000 a year.  We're already about a third of the way towards paying for the system, even though our system cost was around £2k more expensive than the same system today.

Edited by JSHarris
typo "8" instead of "3"

I am following this thread with interest as we are very unsure whether to have PV at all. Our roof is only 7.5 degrees and faces South but we would like ASHP and Sunamp. I am waiting for a new Gas connection quote to way all options up before deciding which way would be best suited for our house. I realise that it would be beneficial to have PV if we want ASHP/Sunamp but when we need it most is when the return from PV would be at its lowest, then I have read we can use the ASHP in the summer to cool the house when PV will be at its best. I might add that the figures for our roof pitch and that of one at say 35 degrees only differs by 0.4 kwh per day in the winter months and gives the same return in the summer months. 

Suppose our biggest concern would be payback time for the Solar panels and what it would cost in electricity to run the ASHP/Sunamp in the winter months if PV generation is poor.

Just to add, has anyone considered the degradation of the efficiency of the panels,?

Obviously an in roof system will be a lot more expensive to replace than an on roof system.

In my professional opinion, if your payback is >10years, then it's not worthwhile, any solar PV system i have installed has generally a payback of 6-7years max to be viable, otherwise it's just not worth it when maintenance costs are taken into account. 

18 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Obviously an in roof system will be a lot more expensive to replace than an on roof syste

Panels are  the same price - the panels are identical, it's the fitting system that varies 

30 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Just to add, has anyone considered the degradation of the efficiency of the panels,?

Obviously an in roof system will be a lot more expensive to replace than an on roof system.

That doesn't seem right to me. The panels simply sit in the roof trays, a few clamps to unbolt and they're out. Arguably they are as simple to remove and replace than an "on" roof system. 

Plus you don't get the very widely reported issues of leaks due to penetrations in the roof tiles/slates caused by on roof systems. 

46 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

In my professional opinion, if your payback is >10years, then it's not worthwhile, any solar PV system i have installed has generally a payback of 6-7years max to be viable, otherwise it's just not worth it when maintenance costs are taken into account. 

I have degradation at about .5% per year according to research. I also think I have a guarantee, which may expire with the company and be futile.

But I also have Solaredge which should help if a panel dies (though I could be misunderstanding and would not be surprised if I was).

But just as I was about to place the final order I rang up and asked for a couple of spare panels and Solaredge modules, which they just gave me as a clinch the order freebie. I think the idea came from a Jeremy. If I was doing a normal install I think one spare panel might be realistic - my install has 35 panels.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

37 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

That doesn't seem right to me. The panels simply sit in the roof trays, a few clamps to unbolt and they're out. Arguably they are as simple to remove and replace than an "on" roof system. 

Plus you don't get the very widely reported issues of leaks due to penetrations in the roof tiles/slates caused by on roof systems. 

It may seem that way in principle,

But getting the exact same panel in 5 (or 10) years time may be an issue, and getting it made water tight, well, let's not even go there.

55 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

It may seem that way in principle,

But getting the exact same panel in 5 (or 10) years time may be an issue, and getting it made water tight, well, let's not even go there.

Sorry im not following you? 

I accept your point re the sizes of replacement panels but what do you mean by watertight? The GSE system is very good and follows almost an identical flashing system to a velux roof window.