Stone barn Passivhaus conversion

goatcarrot

Tall and wide stone Dutch barn 12 x 7 m external foot print. Structure not great as never had flooring tied in. Thinking about putting an insulated foundation to build internal block walls off and maybe around the internal perimeter to form a super structure inside, insulated from the stone.

any views on viability/expense or better ideas gratefully received. 

It’s double skin random stone and lime about 18” thick. The gables are not too bad but the one side wall is bellied quite bad so would need tie-ing in somehow. 
Other side is two stone columns with open gaps in between hence dutch barn. 
needs strip footings then diaphragm walls building between the columns and other side wall to stiffen it up and build upper floors off. 

The building sounds like it would need a lot of work to take to a habitable standards.

Your remaining internal space would be  small, especially if you use block inner leaf.

Where do you sit with planning permission, conservation status etc?  Pictures  or drawings might help. 

No doubt it would need a lot of work.

it’s tall so could accommodate 3 floors (I know fire regs more stringent) so wall thickness not really an issue.

possible class Q but if not I don’t think planning would be too hard to get. 

thanks for your interest 

Do you own the property or are you just feeling it out. Before going much further down the line I'd get the views of someone with the authority to analyse structure and see if its possible to salvage. 

Without knowing any more my gut is telling me that it's a non starter given the problems with the existing barn.

Property already owned. 

as mentioned I’ve already had an SE draw up plans to salvage it with a view to convert down the line but that was before I realised it had potential for a PH retrofit/conversion. 

say the barn was already structurally sound, how would you go about converting such a building?