ASHP Newbee

Haylingbilly

So, I have been quoted £600 by SGN to get gas connected to my new build (240SQM). If I understand correctly the RHI ends at the end of Feb this year, and I am only just starting construction so will be way too late to qualify if I have understood this correctly.

In which case, it would seem to me to be much, much more cost effective from an upfront perspective to go for a gas boiler, or am I missing something?

I only intend to live in the house for three years until I have cleared my CIL liability.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

It may not be as simple now as fit a gas boiler.  It has to meet things like SAP, DER etc.  What to the calcs say for your house with a gas boiler (i.e. no renewables)?

Some of us found buying a cheap ASHP and self instaling it was a better route than pay for an MCS install and claim the RHI.

Hasn't the RHI been extended another year? in which case you may stil qualify.

So essentially you are acting as a property developer? 

I work in the property development industry and if you are to follow the trend of mass housebuilders you would be applying many efficiencies to your build to ensure that you get maximum return after three years. In which case just put a gas boiler in and try to get your energy ratings up using other cheap fabric insulation methods.

Many a council has tried and failed to get national house builders to put high levels of energy / sustainability / etc. into their homes but to no avail. Quite galling given the Govt has pumped billions into the housing market over the past years , pushing up share prices and making houses less affordable..... I could go on.   

• Like 1

Go Gas, if you are living there for only 3 years that would be my choice unless for environmental reasons you feel you cannot 

A unit of gas will probably cost 1/4 of what a unit of electricity will be and you won’t get a CoP of 4 without a lot of extra detailing.

1 hour ago, Andy brown said:

So, I have been quoted £600 by SGN to get gas connected to my new build (240SQM). If I understand correctly the RHI ends at the end of Feb this year, and I am only just starting construction so will be way too late to qualify if I have understood this correctly.

In which case, it would seem to me to be much, much more cost effective from an upfront perspective to go for a gas boiler, or am I missing something?

I only intend to live in the house for three years until I have cleared my CIL liability.

What are your thoughts?

We have done exactly the same thing 

Good luck 

8 hours ago, Arnold9801 said:

I see some are recommending gas, but how about oil?

No having had it in the last house, dirty, smelly, noisy, needs a big tank, and the price is very volatile.

No mains gas and my choice would be ASHP, which is just what we chose.